Still Life, MAYH, or Morningrise?

Tool

The Crimson King
Jan 20, 2003
'Da' Graveyard...
Visit site
So I own Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance, and now I desperatly need to get another Opeth album, which one of these 3 should I get?

[My Favorite Opeth song is the Moor, so I'm leaning more towards Still life, but still, I want opinions]

Nah, Still Life--it's most similar to BWP and Deliverance in approach, and has a great deal of softer material like BWP(though that album has less) and Damnation.

IMO, Morningrise is their best.

If you want something as hard as Deliverance, get MAYH. Otherwise get Still Life. I haven't heard of Morningrise yet, so I can't comment on that. Though I hear it's the hardest to 'get into' for newcomers?

I'd get Morningrise so you can hear early Opeth's awesome sound. But if you want music similar to what you have been hearing from those albums go to Still Life. If anything go Orchid cause that shit just rocks!! MAYH is just classic Opeth delivering free of the bullshit.

I'd say Still Life (because it's most similar, more accessible, etc), but, although the earlier albums may take a little longer to get into, they are both amazing fucking albums. MAYH is my favourite, with the others only just behind...but I'd say work backwards through their catalogue. Since you've began that way, it's probably the easiest.

Still Life is more accessible... but if you bought that you'd almost be sheltered from the extremity of their early work... the first three albums may not be as 'easy to get into' for some, but in my oppinion, they are far superior to their later work.

Morningrise

My Arms Your Hearse, it's absolutely wonderful.

Morningrise is amazing but not as amazing. Still Life is very good too. You really can't go wrong.

You really can't go wrong with MAYH, Still Life or Morningrise... however I'd recommend Still Life, as I think it's an easier transition from the albums you own to Opeth's earlier music.

Mournful

Tool said:
So I own Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance, and now I desperatly need to get another Opeth album, which one of these 3 should I get?

[My Favorite Opeth song is the Moor, so I'm leaning more towards Still life, but still, I want opinions]
Those are *probably* their 3 best, IMO. Can't go wrong with any of them, but......... GET MORNINGRISE!!!:Spin:

Obviously, all are brilliant albums which are worth purchasing. I would recommend My Arms Your Hearse as your next step...

Also, why haven't you considered Orchid? It is an increbidle album which I believe is the most under rated among fans...