My opinion about Deliverance

Minder

Demon of the Fall
Aug 19, 2002
Poland
opeth.pl
I hate to say this, but in my opinion Steven Wilson is destroying the Opeth style. All albums before "Blackwater Park" are simply gods' creation. After "Still Life" something went wrong. "Blackwater Park" was still somewhat 'opetish', but I began to miss all the tasty acoustic guitars in the background (plenty of which can be found mostly in "MAYH" and Still Life") and complex melody-lines (first four albums). I was wondering which way Opeth would go. On "Deliverance" I hear less opetish flavor than on "BwP". The album is heavy, the album sounds good, but it does not sound like Opeth. :cry:

Originally posted by Minder
All albums before "Blackwater Park" are simply gods' creation.

Hmm...

After "Still Life" something went wrong. "Blackwater Park" was still somewhat 'opetish', but I began to miss all the tasty acoustic guitars in the background (plenty of which can be found mostly in "MAYH" and Still Life") and complex melody-lines (first four albums).

There are acoustic guitars in the background and the melody lines on the first two albums aren't very complex, not as complex as the ones on BWP.

I was wondering which way Opeth would go. On "Deliverance" I hear less opetish flavor than on "BwP".
It obviously still sounds like Opeth.

The album is heavy, the album sounds good, but it does not sound like Opeth. :cry:
Even though it blatently does sound like Opeth, I'll entitle you to your own opinion. Even if it didn't, you claim that the album is heavy, and the abum is good. Just because, according to you, it doesn't sound like Opeth, it doesn't make it any worse than any other albums by Opeth.

By saying it doesnt sound liek Opeth you are basically saying that, if someone played this to you, you would not be able to guess that its Opeth? I find thta hard to believe

The album is heavy, the album sounds good, but it does not sound like Opeth. :cry:
Where's your problem? If you like it, who cares if it sounds "like Opeth"? What means "like Opeth" anyway? Deliverance and BWP are as much Opeth albums as their older releases - how can they sound not "like Opeth"? Last time I checked a band's sound was defined by the records they release, not by some fan who says this or that album defines them.

i bet you havent given it enough play time yet.

its kinda hard to digest at first... but its always a mistake to judge an opeth album without a lot of listening

You guys praising Deliverance are mostly right.
It was my mistake to judge this album just after playing it six times. After the seventh hearing, my eyes had opened and now i see the greatness of this album, however.... um... nevermind ;)

Deliverance is great in its own right. I don't judge it against the others because it is so different from the others, its like a completely different ball game...I don't think it fits in with the other ones because it feels like a unique entity. Certainly the most unique one yet.

Of course...many may see this change as a flaw but I like D1 very much...none of this D hating is really gonna change my mind that it is a great (although it should have been stupendous) CD.

I hear ya Minder. Porcupine Tree do very little for me. And no-one can deny that you can hear a lot of Steve's influence on Opeth in recent times. Nothing against Porcupine Tree....I think Steve's got a brilliant voice and is obviously talented, but I'm not a big fan of their sound......especially when I can hear it coming through so strongly on an Opeth cd. If Opeth are going to let prog influence their sound more and more now, I would prefer the darker sides of King Crimson or Camel to shine through.

deliverance is amazing, it sounds exactly the way it should...vintage opeth that has progressed and changed, no band wants to play the same exact style for every album, they evolve, and deliverance is brilliant work. no it doesnt have the blackwater park "atmosphere" on every track, but thats a good thing, this is a different album, with a different emotive appeal all its own. i cant see how people wouldnt like this upon numerous listens, its great.

finally someone who thinks like me about Deliverance...

Deliverance = good album but poor

i think its dark as fuck.my first comparison of Deliverance to an older opeth was MAYH.

it has that very depressed feel to it again imo.

Originally posted by threak
i think its dark as fuck.my first comparison of Deliverance to an older opeth was MAYH.

it has that very depressed feel to it again imo.

I concur, Deliverance does give me that depressed feeling like MAYH.

People are giving you shit for this, but I agree with you. It's sterile. The beautiful melodies are gone.

Originally posted by Lina
People are giving you shit for this, but I agree with you. It's sterile. The beautiful melodies are gone.

What about... hmm... lets say ALL of "A Fair Judgement"? Are those not beautiful melodies..... because that's EXACTLY what they are.... You can't say for example, that an album like MAYH has these beautiful melodies but not Deliverance.... The soft parts on deliverance would all fall into the melodic categories... especially on "Deliverance" and "Master's Apprentices" (and Im excluding A Fair Judgement) Like I said before, I think too many are going into this album with a negative attitude.... try to think of what I am saying when you listen to it.... trust me, there are beautiful melodies all over Deliverance....

yeah,theres always shit loads of people who have to hate something about good bands.its really not worth it.