New Label + Opeth

Raptures_Echos said:
see old opeth = good opeth we need more tro haevy albums enuf with the long dragging acoustic parts

the 'dragging acoustic parts' actually give the record depth, it stirs an emotion that calls to the calm inner self rather than the part of us which has the need for power and loss of control, isn't emotion what music is all about?

try closing your eyes and taking in the true meaning and talent behind the music, appreciate the acoustics for their own value, not for their comparison, or rather their contradictory efforts against your desire for the heavier aspect.

Gunhaver said:
almost all of the riffs can be interexchanged with other pieces from other songs and sound pretty much the same. not that i mind, since the riffs are owners, but they still lack any transition from riff to riff.

with that i do agree, but isn't the point of progression based upon transition? or do you mean within records, not across records

yeah i agree, orchid was pretty sketchy on how the different riffs transistioned, but i still enjoy orchid quite a bit and it was definitly worth the 15 bucks i paid for it :p

IMO, i think that deliverance is the best opeth cd, although i have not bought still life yet although its on order right now :oops: so i should be getting it in a week or so.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Though the most of the cd is awesome, Moonlapse Vertigo has no balls to it, Benighted is dull and Serenity Painted Death is hit-and-miss...
there seems to be no justification to your serenity painted death bashing. i personally love the song and think that its one of their better peices. still life is by far my fav opeth cd. as well you have to take into account the mood that mikael is setting for the cd with songs like benighted. you have to realize what kind of atmosphere he's trying set to in regards to the story he's telling. and yeah i read an interview where mikael discusses that he doesnt like the way moonlapse turned out. on the other hand, i enjoy every aspect of the song. especially the jazzy part in the middle and the melodic part at the end where martin is doing something crazy with his high-hats.

Gunhaver said:
i mean transitions within the actual songs. they stop one riff, fade it out, then start up another. or stop, and start right up with another one. there almost seems to be no connection between any of the parts.
for sure. theres no real flow like there is in anything after mayh. anybody else like the job mikael did with bass on mayh. theres a few parts where its extraordinary. when i met him, i mentioned it and he didnt seem to be too proud of it. i still think it was great.

Cephalanthera said:
there seems to be no justification to your serenity painted death bashing. i personally love the song and think that its one of their better peices. still life is by far my fav opeth cd. as well you have to take into account the mood that mikael is setting for the cd with songs like benighted. you have to realize what kind of atmosphere he's trying set to in regards to the story he's telling. and yeah i read an interview where mikael discusses that he doesnt like the way moonlapse turned out. on the other hand, i enjoy every aspect of the song. especially the jazzy part in the middle and the melodic part at the end where martin is doing something crazy with his high-hats.

the song has little to it. still life is damn good, but not consistent. the mood is better on Orchid, Morning., MAYH, BWP, Delv... Benighted has a lame mood, little contribution to story, and little music, mikael has a good sense of what sucks and what does not, and the jazzy parts can be found better in other songs. GO DELIVERANCE!

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Benighted has a lame mood, little contribution to story, and little music,...

I personally don't see what's wrong with the song. What's so lame about the mood? It's a mellow album! You must hate mellow!
It might contribute to the story if you actually think about what is going on instead of dismissing things you cannot understand.
And the last thing... little music? Huh? Wait it all makes sense now... you're an idiot!

I think if people actually justified why they don't like certain things, the second page of this thread would be alot more worthwhile to read.

Songs like 'Benighted' are more fillers to an album, made to be injections of atmosphere and mood, as opposed to individual masterpieces. I don't normally play 'Benighted' by itself, but when listening to the entirety of Still Life, I never skip it, simply because Mike *knew* what he wanted there, and he *knows* what it does for the continuity of the album. Benighted and Face of Melinda are what keeps Still Life afloat. The momentary pause and time to reflect, it is all part of the ebb and flow of the story. It adds pace and therefore fits to the album.

I can see the qualm from people who only enjoy songs individually, though. The songs simply aren't strong enough to hold you by themselves - you need to listen to the entire album.

RavenousDaemon said:
I personally don't see what's wrong with the song. What's so lame about the mood? It's a mellow album! You must hate mellow!
It might contribute to the story if you actually think about what is going on instead of dismissing things you cannot understand.
And the last thing... little music? Huh? Wait it all makes sense now... you're an idiot!

There is no build to the mood. It seems utterly removed from the songs to either side of it. The story is more put on pause than contributed to during Benighted. I say little music in that compared to every other Opeth song, Benighted never really gets going...just kinda ambles along for a little bit, then is over...heh, you call me an idiot yet claim Still Life is mellow? hahaha jackass.....

Moonlapse said:
Songs like 'Benighted' are more fillers to an album, made to be injections of atmosphere and mood, as opposed to individual masterpieces. Benighted and Face of Melinda are what keeps Still Life afloat. The momentary pause and time to reflect, it is all part of the ebb and flow of the story. It adds pace and therefore fits to the album.
I can see the qualm from people who only enjoy songs individually, though. The songs simply aren't strong enough to hold you by themselves - you need to listen to the entire album.

A filler? The song is 5 mins! Call it an "injection of mood" if you want, but i call it a waste of time when i could be listening to quality Opeth...FOM is in a different league to Benighted, dont bring it down to its level! And btw, i do listen to the entire albums, and can appreciate a song for how it fits into the setting of the album....but when comparing two albums where one has EVERY song brilliant alone or together, and one where the album is great, but a few songs leave something to be desired, i choose the first one every time.

About my saying album and you calling me a jackass... I meant to say song.
I'm sure you would make this mistake too if you were still awake and posting at 4:30 AM when almost every other night you are asleep by 12 or so. I was tired, yet you are still an idiot. Thank you.

And I still have yet to fall asleep....

Still life is my fav opeth album, and allthough i have a different definition of filler, agree with moonlapse, without those two songs still life wouldnt work, especially benighted, contrasts make opeths music.