Round 6: Least favorite Opeth album

Round 6: Least favorite Opeth album

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was so hard.
Love them both and they both stand by themselves as the top of Opeth's catalog.
Still life was the first CD I heard by Opeth and will always be my fav.
MAYH was the second one I bought. It is my fav for putting on headphones or taking a drive in the country cause it works so well as a whole.
But I always go back to Still Life when I am in the mood for Opeth.
If I was stuck on an Island and only had one Opeth, would have to be Still Life.

Bumblefoot said:
You see this as wrong, and you are also a shitty prog fan. as a whole, MAYH is ONE EXPERIENCE, and fucking amazingly well constructed. Still Life is just a collection of nearly unrelated songs. The flow is fucking shit on still life.

as a prog fan, one can only choose MAYH. I am a prog fan. I TOLD YOU FUCKERS TO STOP LISTENING TO ALBUMS AND ONLY CARING ABOUT ONE SONG AT A TIME, I FUCKIN TOLD YOU. GO TO HELL.
Too much Raison D'etre and custom mixes for you. Go listen to some Slayer.

Decadent said:
I'm sorry... have you NEVER heard Deliverance or Damnation?

I would have to agree here D.
What was he listening to? Although both Deliv and Damna
have a bit of original stuff in them.
I mean listen to the difference between the first two offerings and
MAYH. Shit there was plenty of originality and new shit!

Ren's Detailed Hands said:
each song on those albums are repetitive in themselves, but as an album, none of the songs really sound alike. on MAYH however, it's hard to distinguish between songs sometimes, especially the clean parts, which are almost exactly the same. it's the exact same formula for each song.

What in the hell are you talking about???

Explain to me how Madrigal and April Ethereal sound the same.

How is When similar to Harvest?

How is Prologue indistinguishable to Epilouge?

Honestly... you must be deaf.

I love every album they've done so I would have to say my least favorite would be the last album they ever do, because that means no more Opeth... :devil:

Ren's Detailed Hands said:
didn't know "harvest" was on MAYH, so i'm going to assume you meant credence. most of the distorted rhythm sounds indistinguishable, and all the clean parts (credence excluded) sound the same. the only song that has any originality to it is epilogue. the production of the album makes things much worse. the tone of the clean is horrendous, and the drums and distortion clash a lot, creating a somewhat muddy sound. akerfeldt's clean vocals are subpar to the previous albums. all that leads up to one mediocre album.
I totally agree on the production. It's hard not to notice the overheads totally obscuring everything else in the recording. They are constantly fighting over the mix and the start of April Ethereal is the perfect example of this. The guitars in general have a very thin sound that has no power, and the clean electrics also sound thin and brittle. The only thing I like about the album's production is probably the lead tone on Epilogue.

I disagree about Mike's vocals being subpar on it. I think this is when they first started to shine. But that's all subjective.

The songs in general have nothing that stands out at you. It may work as a collective whole because everything sounds so alike, but there are no individual wonders like on Still Life. I can always crank Moonlapse Vertigo by itself and still love it like the first time I heard it, same with FoM, or Godhead's etc. Yet when you listen to the entire album some sort of order and coherence to the songs is created and they gain a new purpose, one they didn't have individually.

i think that the so-labelled sounding alike of the mayh songs is a result of the flow the album. they could have also made one long-ass song called my arms your hearse with several chapters imo.

and moonlapse: there are parts that stand out for sure on mayh. i get some sweet little orgasm at certain parts like the 'she faced me in awe'-part, the beginning of the amen corner, the amen corner solo, the second riff in demon of the fall or the tapping thingie in epilogue...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
and moonlapse: there are parts that stand out for sure on mayh. i get some sweet little orgasm at certain parts like the 'she faced me in awe'-part, the beginning of the amen corner, the amen corner solo, the second riff in demon of the fall or the tapping thingie in epilogue...

And "take me awayyyyyyyyy"

Guys, and gals, if we did not love this music so fuckin' much, we would not be arguing
over minute details.
Hey people, thanks for being Opethians along with me and some of my family.
We are here to stay, and one big family.( notice I didn't say Häppy)
Merry whatever you lovable fucks!

Can't you just Feel the love in this room? :headbang:
Æ ¬
dammit, my alt button is messing up.

Moonlapse said:
Someone's drunk again :lol:

Yep, thanks,
Your Post #55 was one helluva post young man.
Cognative and insightful.
I wanna read it again in the morning! hahahah
Merry Christmas!

his collaboration with opeth is wonderful, and makes for a much more dynamic, captivating sound. on the other hand... mayh takes more patience to appreciate because of its limited production values, but ultimately i think it is the more rewarding album.

:headbang: yeahh!! :headbang: