Similar to Opeth Bands?

how come everytime such a thread gets started all these bands get mentioned that often don't sound anything like opeth! ... for example November's Doom, I really do not understand how people can say they sound similar. As soon as a band uses both growls and clean vocals in songs, they are claimed to sound like Opeth, which is ridiculous.

Furthermore, also funny how everytime only "similar" bands to orchid and morningrise get mentioned, while new people probably are asking about bands doing similar things like on opeth's newer albums. Of course, there aren't any similar bands ;)

So to the threadstarter, clarify please, what do you actually want? You want bands/songs that are similar to their soft side (which era soft side?) ... Well to put in my contribution, the song Omerta by Katatonia always sounded to me as if it could have been on Damnation.
In any case, appreciate bands on their own, any good band is unique in its own way and doesn't sound "similar" to many other bands.

I know this is an old thread, but I lost my email account and pw somehow and just found this thread again. I am referring to any of the softer side of opeth with long dark instrumentals and clear vocals. I prefer the older softer songer, but I like them all. My favorite song is "To Bid You Farewell" if that helps. Thanks to all who replied in this thread...it has opened a bunch of new doors although some had much more death metal growling in them than I prefer, but awesome guitars.

that their songs have soft and heavy passages is about the extent of similarity between agalloch and opeth. agalloch is much more "bergtatt" than they are opeth.

I always thought Dornenreich were similar to Opeth, but no-one ever seems to agree with me : ( . Same contrast between electric and acoustic, clean and extreme vocals, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
no band is similar to opeth.
opeth is so special and the best band in the world because it represents light and dark with acoustic passages and monstrous awesome growling

fo sho

Forest of October - Katatonia, from Dance of december souls! it sounds a bit Opeth-like!

.. or wait a sec.. nah nevermind..

I heard the Lopez Beat in a Mercyful Fate song btw. does that count?