Opeth is similar to..........

TvNewsShooter

New Metal Member
May 27, 2003
Spokane, Wa.
Visit site
Having never heard Opeth (that i know of) and looking for something new, what bands do they sound like? Kind of like If X-band and Z-band had a baby it would sound like Opeth. How would you classify them also... Progressive Metal, Power Metal?

I have had a similar question. But instead of creating a new thread "Hi, I'm new hear - what album to buy?" that happens 1000's of times I've thought this is a good place to ask. What album should I buy? For starters anyway. I'm a progger more than a death-mettler. Most people from the SyX borad say Blackwater Park is a good place to start. But alot of people from the JP forum say "Still Life" is a good place to start. What do you guys say?

This is the order I got into them, and have not looked back, I was into mostly prog and old school metal before I heard Opeth
1. Blackwater park
2. Morningrise(masterpiece)
3. Still life
4. My arms your hearse
5. Orchid
6. Deliverance

icedsymphony said:
This is the order I got into them, and have not looked back, I was into mostly prog and old school metal before I heard Opeth
1. Blackwater park
2. Morningrise(masterpiece)
3. Still life
4. My arms your hearse
5. Orchid
6. Deliverance
Booyah, thats pretty damn good.

BTW Opeth is not prog in the sence y'all maybe thinking of...

i.e. there are hardly any solos, an dthe tempo changes are so subtle you'll never really hear it, which makes the songs flow much better. Theres really no shred or guitarage, just good music. Opeth is progressive in the vein of the 70s bands, YES, Camel, Crimson etc not in the vein of the Dream theater clones that flood the prog music world today.

NO FUCKING SHRED~!!!!! What da fuck (Hence name) but I'm open minded enough deal with that if the music is good. I try not to be a "prog-elist" or prog-snob.

I've heard samples from amazon and I'm downloading the song "Deamon of the Fall" right now. I'll tell you what I think when I hear it!

Holy Shit! It just finished downloading and I fucking love it!!!!!!!! Even the growls which normally i get turned off by. It's so melodic, so atmospheric, so moody, so deep. I'm definately getting a Opeth album soon!

Now downloading - Harvest.

hey dude you can't appreciate opeth by downloading random tracks lol!
go and buy a frigging album - any, they're all amazing.

I'll do that! Harvest is beautiful b/t/w!
From the reviews and opinions in general, I think I'll start off with BW-P. But iot definately won't be my last!

I have five albums which i got in this order:
1 - Blackwater Park
2 - Orchid
3 - My Arms Your Hearse
4 - Deliverance
5 - Still Life

I say buy Blackwater Park first, it's best for newbies to Opeth, or maybe even the whole metal genre!
Then you should buy Still Life, which is quite similar to BWP in some ways.

Next get MAYH, which is a helluva lot different in style, i reckon. It might take a while for it to sink in, but after a few listens you'll find yourself lost in the Opeth world!
:Spin:

Then either Orchid or Deliverance, depending on which style you like more (MAYH/Orchid, BWP/Deliverance/Still Life).

Either that or just buy them in order of release date :)

Edit: btw Mr. Shred - you want a drummer and a vocalist, but don't you want a bassist?

Reactions: Stormwatch
Opeth are not shredders but they do have some pretty fast solos... like White Cluster or A Fair Judgement. Oh and do start with Blackwater Park... it's the easiest to listen to at first ( also my favourite but that doesn't matter ).