Bands similar to Opeth

Originally posted by Alex78
Check out Novembre - "Novembrine Waltz". They have a style quite similar to Opeth, with shorter songs. I like them a lot!

I STILL don't get why people say this... Novembre is just a doom metal band, there's nothing progressive in their music at all... Opeth is so different from them in the structure of thir songs. granted some of the melodies are a bit like Opeth...

there are really no bands like Opeth, like people have said. The closest ones i find are

Agalloch
Edge Of Sanity's album Crimson
old Katatonia
Lilitu

these really aren't quite like Opeth though, but somewhat close at times.

How about Sculptured? I think Agalloch's Pale Folklore is similar to opeth but, the mantle is not so much ...

you might want to check out borknagar. they don't sound exactly like opeth but i don't see why a fan of opeth wouldn't like them. you may also want to check out primordial.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot

I STILL don't get why people say this... Novembre is just a doom metal band, there's nothing progressive in their music at all... Opeth is so different from them in the structure of thir songs. granted some of the melodies are a bit like Opeth...

Well, if you put it like that, then Opeth are no longer progressive. Opeth's first two albums were the epitome of Progressive Death metal. The last three are death metal with acoustics and clean vocals.

Also, ever since MAYH, Opeth have not really "progressed" anywhere. Lets hope these two new albums will bring back the days of yore.