Bands that sound like old Opeth

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys, and im getting around to hearing a little bit from each band but may i add, i said all acoustic bands and by that i meant i wanted songs that sound like the acoustic parts from songs like Black Rose Immortal, to bid you farewell, still day beneith the sun etc.

try early(er) porcupine tree (light bulb, sky move sideways..).
maybe youll like Antimatter. great music anyhow.

There's this band called Camel that totally ripped off loads of Opeth's songs...

Aggaloch sound quite similar, actually.

umm... there must something wrong here... camel didnt rip off Opeth... it happened the other way round.. according to Mike. He was influenced by that band a lot. Opeth didnt rip anyone... but lots of song have Camel influence in it.

umm... there must something wrong here... camel didnt rip off Opeth... it happened the other way round.. according to Mike. He was influenced by that band a lot. Opeth didnt rip anyone... but lots of song have Camel influence in it.

:worship:

Hmm, there really isn't any other band that sound like Opeth. Agalloch??? I don't see it. Other than both bands using clean and harsh vocals (which are not similar in any way), there is not other similarity. Someone mentioned newer Novembers Doom...this is about as close as it gets.

Haha, yeah, If you want something that sounds like old Opeth listen to Take the Time or Hollow Years by Dream Theater, lol. James Labries growels really have that gutteral ferociousness that old Opeth had, haha. Just because two bands fall into the same genre doesnt mean they sound the same, progressive metal has a pretty broad range of sounds. You should look into this instrumental band called When Day Descends. They have epic dark songs, lots of acoustic breaks, some jazz influences, and most importantly excellent songs. http://myspace.com/whendaydescends

If your into the acoustic stuff you should check out the song Suppresion. Adaptive and Discovery are off of thier upcoming album and have a really dramtic guitar oriented filmscore vibe. You can download all these songs as well as the entire Acsension album off thier website - http://www.whendaydescends.com I know I sound like Im working for them as a salesman or something but thier one of my favorite bands and thier relativly unknown and could use the support. If you imagine Mikes growels over the top of thier songs its almost got an uncanny resemblance to something Opeth would write. All the bands in the top favorites on thier myspace also sound alot like Opeth.

Eesh, sounds like more of a rip-off of older style Opeth with shitty production.
Also, I agree with ProgDeath. Dreamtheatre and Opeth should never be compared. My opinion but, I fucking hate Dreamtheatre. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant musicians, not really my taste though. I bought the dvd to try them out, and as soon as they started playing I wanted to punch that faggoty-ass singer in the face. I smashed the dvd.

Eesh, sounds like more of a rip-off of older style Opeth with shitty production.
Also, I agree with ProgDeath. Dreamtheatre and Opeth should never be compared. My opinion but, I fucking hate Dreamtheatre. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant musicians, not really my taste though. I bought the dvd to try them out, and as soon as they started playing I wanted to punch that faggoty-ass singer in the face. I smashed the dvd.

Which Dvd? Was it Live Scenes from New York, Live in Budokon, or Score? I personally thought Budokon was the best just because it focused mostly on Train of Thought and even though James LAbrie sounds even more high and screechy live than on a Cd, he does a decent job with that show. I used to be really into Dream Theater but theres alot of other great progressive bands out there like Beyond Twilight, Into Eternity, Vanden Plas, Brainstorm, Symphony X, Pagans Mind, Zero Hour, etc ... that have the same techincal proficiency as Dream Theater but also have singers that can actually sing. Dream Theater is probably the most famous and influential progressive metal band and they get alot of attention, but thier certainly not the best. Curt Cobain was influential with the music movement of the 90s and he did nothing but repeat a few power chords and sing badly with mumbles and voice cracks galore, lol. What Im getting at in a nutshell is that Dream Theater is a talented and influential band that has made some great music, but overall thier not as good as thier made out to be.

I would also say Farmakon is as close to Opeth as it gets. MAYH-era opeth + jazz parts = Farmakon

Agalloch Novembre Ulver are all very different in athmosphere.