Bands that sound like old Opeth

cant you guys just listen to Enslaved and stop listening to terrible 3rd rate opeth riff offs that sound very little like opeth?

Enslaved's music is very similar to Opeth, as some may know (apperently not as folks continue to mention farmakon and make little mention to enslaved). Take away mikes voice, and enslaved is about as close to opeth in terms of over all quality and similar vibe (60s 70's prog/psych- meets extreme metal) as your going to get.

There are new bands that sounds way more similar to Opeth than ND.

Agreed. I don't think we sound much like Opeth, and even Mike has said he doesn't think we sound like Opeth. We have some basic similarites to them and I think we can sometimes appeal to a similar fanbase. Opeth have a very unique style and sound to them, I don't really think anyone out there sounds closely like them.

Alot of bands who are compared to Opeth are being unfairly called "rip offs", too. Opeth are fantastic but they didn't invent the wheel folks, alot of other bands were doing similar stylistic things before (or started around the same time as) Opeth.

And Enslaved are an excellent band, I agree! But I wouldn't really compare them to Opeth either, again other than in some very general ways.

Agreed. I don't think we sound much like Opeth, and even Mike has said he doesn't think we sound like Opeth. We have some basic similarites to them and I think we can sometimes appeal to a similar fanbase. Opeth have a very unique style and sound to them, I don't really think anyone out there sounds closely like them.

Alot of bands who are compared to Opeth are being unfairly called "rip offs", too. Opeth are fantastic but they didn't invent the wheel folks, alot of other bands were doing similar stylistic things before (or started around the same time as) Opeth.

And Enslaved are an excellent band, I agree! But I wouldn't really compare them to Opeth either, again other than in some very general ways.

How'ya doing Larry? Wish you'd post here more often...

I've just finished listening to WDD and Ikuinen Kaamos spaces' songs; first one is really good and particular band (though inspired by Opeth not equal at all), second is a more "standard" prog + "extreme influences" act.
But I particularly appreciated WDD

Good thing you want more of an old opeth sound. All I can think of really is Agalloch, and maybe Ulver on Bergtatt.

not quite what the original poster was looking for, but:

there's a melodic death band from Germany called Behind the Scenery - their last album, Retroviseur, was a bit of everything - mostly a mid-era In Flames/Omnium Gatherum sound (some excellent melodeath tracks, btw), some occasional female vox, even one out of place goth/doomy track with haunted house keys.

Anyway, at the end of the album is a jazzy track called Late Night that could have come off Damnation.

Most people are saying Agalloch. And I agree.

They are actually one of my favorite bands for the genre...very interesting, emotional music. I recommend them to anyone who hasn't heard them.

Garden Of Shadows has always given me a Opeth-like feel../shrug..Not in every aspect, vocals are definitely different.

I've just finished listening to WDD and Ikuinen Kaamos spaces' songs; first one is really good and particular band (though inspired by Opeth not equal at all), second is a more "standard" prog + "extreme influences" act.
But I particularly appreciated WDD

Im glad you like it, anyone else check them out?

Yeah, I'm in the middle of listening to Ikuinen Kaamos on myspace right now, pretty good stuff! How come the vocals are so different between the two songs? I thought they only have one release.. I really like the first song but the second is too black metal for me ;\

Yeah, I'm in the middle of listening to Ikuinen Kaamos on myspace right now, pretty good stuff! How come the vocals are so different between the two songs? I thought they only have one release.. I really like the first song but the second is too black metal for me ;\

Most of Ikuinen Kaamos' songs have elements of black metal and mid-tempo death / doom. He's got a very diverse vocal style, and he utilises it brilliantly. It's never too gurgly deep to be expressive, nor is it ever too Dani Filthy high. It's always in that expressive range, that Mikael from Opeth uses almost well enough - imo Mike uses it better on Katatonia's Brave Murder Day, but that's beside the point.
IK will tend to have periods that will sounds like Opeth/early Katatonia, i.e. the mid-tempo stuff, but sometimes they'll launch into something that sounds like a better produced version of Emperor. It's all got bits of everything. I would love to rave on about this band until the end of time, but I don't think I will.

As to the forum topic, I think it's probably been mentioned, but Woods of Ypres, particularly their first album (Against The Seasons) sounds a fair bit like older Opeth.