Opeth-Like Bands

Pethical,

Sorry this is a bit of a weird question.

Were you at the first Children Of Bodom show last year, in the front row, a little to the right of Alexi, with your friend who had short black hair standing on your left, who had a beer and he really needed to take a piss the whole show?

Silent paragon said:
Pethical,

Sorry this is a bit of a weird question.

Were you at the first Children Of Bodom show last year, in the front row, a little to the right of Alexi, with your friend who had short black hair standing on your left, who had a beer and he really needed to take a piss the whole show?

yes!

Pethical said:
So that’s where I recognize you from. I was on the left of your friend. We also talked about Opeth in the queue before the show. I remember seeing you at Opeth and Cog and thinking, “I know that guy from somewhere”. I took photos at Cog. There not all that good but if you want to see them go here.

Ice said:
Porcupine tree I think is some what similar.
Porcupine tree is a good band, but they don’t “sound like” Opeth.

Silent Paragon said:
I remember seeing you at Opeth and Cog and thinking, “I know that guy from somewhere”. I took photos at Cog. There not all that good but if you want to see them go here.

Na they are good snaps. Cog was a most excellent gig. they are a great band

NineFeetUnderground said:
actually, disillusion is pretty horrible. and id feel ashamed if i were you for assuming that theyre the best thing to come from your home country for years...theres clearly a lot better bands coming from germany still.

What's so horrible about Disillusion? What other new thing out of Germany would mister recommend then?

The Old Dead Tree and Cynic have some influences. Little to no growling, but similar for the melodic and mid tempo work. Daylight Dies sounds more like Opeth's heavier sound with growling vocs. Cynic's guitar work is amazing by the way and all I can say is wow. Chaotic at times, but amazingly complex and Tool-ish in parts. All great bands and fans of Opeth should appreciate the musicianship.

Basicly you should ignore all these posts because no band really sounds like Opeth. If you want bands with cleans and growls or bands with acoustics and electrics, well there's tons of options there. But I've tried for quite a while to find a band that sounds similar and outside of maybe Farmakon sounding like an incredibly unrefined Opeth, no one's come anywhere close. Even that April Ethereal band that's supposed to be copying Opeth somewhat doesn't sound like them

So give up on finding Opeth clones; however, if you like Opeth, you will probably like:

Enslaved (More black metal, but good shifts from cleans to extremes, good prog elements)
Agalloch (Some equally good acoustic guitars, pretty simplistic distortion but I guess you could say there's still transitions)
Edge of Sanity (Well most of it is just melodic death but Crimson has a fair amount of acoustic guitars)
Porcupine Tree (Not really metal but good cleans like Opeth and similar quality guitar work - I think one of the riffs in "Arriving Somewhere but not Here" sounds like a clone of a Baying of the Hounds riff with a different rhythm)
And a lot of those death/doom metal bands. Katatonia and Novembers Doom would be my favs from that group. Also if you're as much of an Akerfeldt fanboy as an Opeth fanboy, Bloodbath is badass. Also Morbid Angel is an influence with some of the albums. And Cynic is my 4th favorite band but I don't think they're similar at all...

I have yet to hear and don't think there is a band that sounds like Opeth. But there are many bands that an Opeth fan would probably like which have already been mentioned: Novembers Doom, Katatonia, Swallow The Sun, etc.

Mar de Grises. Surely some of you have heard their 2008 masterpiece 'Draining the Waterheart'? Now THAT is a very Opeth-influenced album, if you ask me.

Surprised nobody has mentioned In Mourning yet. Took me a bit to get past the stark similarity, but the Shrouded Divine cd is very good.

And I agree with the above, Nahema is very good.