Opeth-Like Bands

disillusion can't be the best thing to come out of germany. i don't know much german metal other than sodom and kreator, but those bands are clearly better - back in the old days at least. sodom has a new self-titled album out. i should maybe check it out.

Rapture from Finland tried to imitate their sound IMO. "Songs for the Withering" back in 2002 was pretty good. Not sure if they produced anything else or if they're even still together ???

Daylight Dies...

Swallow the Sun...

Rainwound...

Dark Suns... not a ripoff, actually better than opeth in some aspects.. they have their own sound.

...can't think of others at the moment.

To the guy who said katatonia... kill yourself. Katatonia is radio/mall goth rock. Never heard Farmakon or Disillusion, and the metalcore groups like Insomnium, I really hope you were joking with those. ^_^

Oinkness said:
Daylight Dies...

That would be an (old) Katatonia sound-alike, sounds nothing like Opeth.

Oinkness said:
Rainwound

Stop plugging your shitty band that no one cares about. And stop comparing yourself to Opeth. Please.

Oinkness said:
Dark Suns... not a ripoff, actually better than opeth in some aspects.. they have their own sound.

If by they have their own sound you mean they pretty much sound like Opeth except not quite as good. Better? Are you deaf?

Oinkness said:
...can't think at the moment.

I corrected that sentence for you.

Oinkness said:
To the guy who said katatonia... kill yourself. Katatonia is radio/mall goth rock.

Kill yourself.

Wasn't there a band a while back that was ripping off Opeth so hard that they were named April Ethereal, and released an album called Advent, or something like that?

AshDLS said:
Wasn't there a band a while back that was ripping off Opeth so hard that they were named April Ethereal, and released an album called Advent, or something like that?

yep. a polish band.
now that's kinda weird, right?

Hey yea i would like to hear that. That sounds like it wud be pretty funny

AshDLS said:

they toured with opeth a few years ago. i didnt really like them, and guess what the last song they played. thats right, a cover of demon of the fall.

Mad Poet said:
Dark Lunacy have clearly listened to Opeth a lot. Some parts of their songs could almost be mistaken for Opeth. For example, "On Memory's White Sleigh" on their new album The Diarist.

Thanks, I love Dark Lunacy's earlier stuff, wasn't aware they had a new album out. Sounds pretty impressive from my first listen.

Immortal is the Opeth version of black metal especially the album At The Heart of Winter which contains a lot of clean guitar arpeggios that create very original soundscapes.
You can find this also on their last album Sons of Nother Darkness and on the Immortal classic Blashyrk Mighty Daven Dark (best fuckin music video ever !) from the Battles in The North album.
:headbang: