Opeth-Like Bands

Thorg

Jan 4, 2006
Hey does anyone know of any bands similar to Opeth. Cause i noticed their style is pretty defined and I was wondering if there was anyone else like them.

Dont know if they are similar to Opeth, but you will probably like:

Asgaut
Katatonia
Anathema
Pain Of Salvation
Novembre
Edge Of Sanity
Athela
Novembers Doom
Agalloch
Porcupine Tree
Woods Of Ypres
Camel
Windham Hell
Ulver
Ayreon
Deadsoul Tribe (Psychotic Waltz)
Akercocke
Green Carnation
Wolverine
Riverside
Swallow The Sun
Orphaned Land
In The Woods

between the buried and me - no
insomnium - great band but no, they are more like november's doom meets amon amarth

i would say orphaned land have a similar thing going for them as opeth do. so i can see the connection there. Most of Detric's list is pretty good in terms of bands that most opeth fans would like but i dunno if there are really that many bands out there that sound like opeth.

The band ive found to be most like opeth at the moment are Katatonia. A bit more mellow maybe and with some Paradise Lost influences as well but still great.

Between the Buried and Me is mathcore, very unlike Opeth. Still pretty entertaining music though.

Riverside is pretty cool, you should check em out if you haven't already.

Dark Lunacy have clearly listened to Opeth a lot. Some parts of their songs could almost be mistaken for Opeth. For example, "On Memory's White Sleigh" on their new album The Diarist.

Madder Mortem plays a different style of music, but there is a similar feel to some of the guitarwork and song structures. It makes sense why they toured with them a couple years ago.

Edge of Sanity doesn't sound like Opeth. Nor do most of the other bands mentioned in this thread. I guess it depends on what you mean with "sounds like" though. If you mean bands that evoke a similar feel then I could think of a few, and if you mean bands that have similar dynamics I could think of a few others. But for the most part it's a pretty silly thing to look for. Looking for bands that "sound like" your favourite band is generally not the best way to build up a good solid music collection. But if you want my opinion of bands that actually sound somewhat like Opeth unlike 90% already mentioned here:

Agalloch
Dark Suns

Agalloch is a great band with a fairly unique sound. They are reminiscent of Opeth but by no means copying them, they're more like what you'd get if you'd mix a band like pre-Deliverance Opeth with post-rock bands like Explosions in the Sky and Mono (Japan).

Dark Suns is pretty good, but not mind blowingly original or something. I enjoy them. But they're not essential unless you really are just looking for Opeth sound-alikes.

if your not looking for a band LIKE opeth, but sort of like a CLONE of Opeth, then FOREST OF SHADOWS, even their lyrics are opethlike, as well as the clean and death vocals. i think theyre a bit of an opeth rip off, but theyre still good. theyve got some excellent songs.

Ikuinen Kaamos comes to mind (they're more BM), though I don't know why someone would want bands that sound like Opeth.