Bands that play in the Orchid/Morningrise style

steel102

________
May 22, 2005
Guadeloupe
So I read in an interview somewhere that Mikael said they stopped playing Orchid/Morningrise songs because a lot of bands were doing the same thing. I really like these two albums, but have not come across any other bands with a similar sound. Can you guys recommend me some? Thanks. :worship:

did he h9onestly say that the reason for not continuing with the style was because it was a common thing? that i find very difficult to believe and confuses me a great deal

steel102 said:
So I read in an interview somewhere that Mikael said they stopped playing Orchid/Morningrise songs because a lot of bands were doing the same thing. I really like these two albums, but have not come across any other bands with a similar sound. Can you guys recommend me some? Thanks. :worship:

He's referring to melo-death that kind of exploded in sweden around 1994-97

Especially in Gothenburg.

Think Dark Tranquility and In Flames.

im thinking dark tranquility and in flames and i hear no comparison with that and morningrise........and if you're bored with it then you can't enjoy it so it was the right decision for mikael but i think there was much to explore with that style

they mean it in the guitar harmony style...all those bands had harmonized guitars. Dissection, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Eucharist, Edge of Sanity, Ceremonial Oath, Necrophobic too..

Oh....I have a whole bunch of In Flames/Dark Tranquility/Edge of Sanity etc. cd's and don't think they sound similar at all really....

Just like.. an hour ago I came across a band that I never heard before..

Insomnium.

It sounds similar to Dark Tranquilliy, but with more acoustics. I supose thats in the same style as orchid/morningrise. Though Opeth is far better, im glad iv found a band that isnt terrible.

DEMIgOD said:

Insomnium.

It sounds similar to Dark Tranquilliy, but with more acoustics. I supose thats in the same style as orchid/morningrise. Though Opeth is far better, im glad iv found a band that isnt terrible.

though i dont find insomnium to be vastly talented, i do REALLY like their music.

DEMIgOD said:

Insomnium.

They kick all sorts of ass....Insomnium.

Does At the Gates sound like In Flames? no. But they're still very melodic... as is Morningrise...as is Opeth in general. It was a very linear style of guitar playing by all the bands mentioned above. Some have stuck with it, some have changed....sometiems for the good, sometimes for the bad..depending on your opinion.

Morningrise = Melo-death.

He says on the Lamentations dvd (along these lines) that many people view morningrise as the masterpiece, but they had gone as far as they could with that style and that everyone else was doing the duel guitar parts. It was becoming used so much that when he listens to parts of the album (TNATSW i'm guessing) he hates it because of the duel guitars..

Personally "The Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance" has quite a lot of similarities.. especially Moonshield which is amazing! ..my friends thought that it was Opeth when i put it on and only began to realise it wasn't opeth when the vocals came in.. Amazing album, has the acoustic/classical guitars styling of morningrise with the old style of in flames (before they went all gay and introduced the god awful synths and his voice jus went shit)

I always wondered..

when metallica said " Saint Anger is back to our roots" did they imply.. before they knew how to.. you know... play music?

the_drip said:
Morningrise = Melo-death.
haha, what a big pile of shit...sorry didn't want to offend you. but that sentence iplies a megaton of musical dumbness...whatever

again, for all people who like good music, ffs check this one paticular song!

band: Unmoored
album: Indefinite Soul-Extension
song: Final State Part III (Posthumous Writings)

(for the mods & opeth.com: the link to Opeth lies within the huge similarity between the clean voices used bya these two bands...hope roadrunner won't get me banned)

opeth_353 said:
Personally "The Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance" has quite a lot of similarities.. especially Moonshield which is amazing! ..my friends thought that it was Opeth when i put it on and only began to realise it wasn't opeth when the vocals came in.. Amazing album, has the acoustic/classical guitars styling of morningrise with the old style of in flames (before they went all gay and introduced the god awful synths and his voice jus went shit)

Amazing, I just happened to have blindly purchased this album, hoping this was a good one, and I am very much enojying it. Although, I was wondering if their is any clean vocals in this album, haven't had a chance to listen all the way through.

Either way, I'm diggin it.