Morningrise this, Morningrise that

Protected Witness

Magickal Theatre 33
Sep 27, 2002
www.mrniel.net
www.mrniel.net
(reprinted)

As far as the bass player arguments:

Guess what folks? Mike wrote all those basslines for Johan. And guess what else? Mike writes most of Mendez's too. What makes Johan better than Mendez? Mendez plays the old basslines just like Johan. He's just as good, if not better cause he doesn't try to stick out as much tone wise. There may be flashier basslines on the first two albums, but that's cause Mike wrote flashier basslines for the first two albums than the last five. There's really no question of muscianship here when both guys have someone else to write the majority of the stuff they play and Mendez plays the old basslines exactly like Johan.

And as far as Morningrise worship, you're all a bunch of dorks. Morningrise is a great album, but so are the other 6. To say it's so far ahead of the others is pretty lame considering every Opeth album is a different evolution from the last (if anything ist's alot like Orchid with slightly better production). Live in the present. I don't understand why people come on here and complain how Opeth will "never reach the pinnacle they did with Morningrise again," yet still claim Opeth fandom. Why do you still listen to Opeth then? Face it, they'll never make another album like that (at least, according to Mike's statements). Stop whining and buy some black metal cds, you babies!

Mr. Niel said:
Guess what folks? Mike wrote all those basslines for Johan. And guess what else? Mike writes most of Mendez's too. What makes Johan better than Mendez? Mendez plays the old basslines just like Johan. He's just as good, if not better cause he doesn't try to stick out as much tone wise. There may be flashier basslines on the first two albums, but that's cause Mike wrote flashier basslines for the first two albums than the last five. There's really no question of muscianship here when both guys have someone else to write the majority of the stuff they play and Mendez plays the old basslines exactly like Johan.

Evident to me is the issue of Martin Mendez as the bass player of Opeth. He is by all accounts an excellent performer, but I understand the concerns around him. My position on the matter is that with Peter Lindgren and Mikael Åkerfeldt, along with classic metal drummer in Martin Lopez, any bass player is going to have a hard time making an impact as much as he is individually capable. Martin Mendez is limited by the composition style and skill of his fellow bandmates.

And as far as Morningrise worship, you're all a bunch of dorks. Morningrise is a great album, but so are the other 6. To say it's so far ahead of the others is pretty lame considering every Opeth album is a different evolution from the last (if anything ist's alot like Orchid with slightly better production). Live in the present. I don't understand why people come on here and complain how Opeth will "never reach the pinnacle they did with Morningrise again," yet still claim Opeth fandom. Why do you still listen to Opeth then? Face it, they'll never make another album like that (at least, according to Mike's statements). Stop whining and buy some black metal cds, you babies!

Morningrise is a fantastic album. Not many will argue otherwise. Most will agree that the other albums are also great. However, it must be iterated that the "Morningrise worship" is an effect of personal opinion.

Furthermore, personal opinion is not the only reason I see such esteem for this album. As with any band/scene, new members of community will emerge and search for their identity. They will try to gauge for themselves the present state of the communities collective convictions, often the same as one another, thereby creating a snowballing phenomenon of overwhelming, and in some cases misguided, popular opinion. The said actuality among this community is debatable, as there are many inconsistencies. Such a case is that of Blackwater Park's popularity.

Frost-Shatraug said:
Evident to me is the issue of Martin Mendez as the bass player of Opeth. He is by all accounts an excellent performer, but I understand the concerns around him. My position on the matter is that with Peter Lindgren and Mikael Åkerfeldt, along with classic metal drummer in Martin Lopez, any bass player is going to have a hard time making an impact as much as he is individually capable. Martin Mendez is limited by the composition style and skill of his fellow bandmates.

Morningrise is a fantastic album. Not many will argue otherwise. Most will agree that the other albums are also great. However, it must be iterated that the "Morningrise worship" is an effect of personal opinion.

Furthermore, personal opinion is not the only reason I see such esteem for this album. As with any band/scene, new members of community will emerge and search for their identity. They will try to gauge for themselves the present state of the communities collective convictions, often the same as one another, thereby creating a snowballing phenomenon of overwhelming, and in some cases misguided, popular opinion. The said actuality among this community is debatable, as there are many inconsistencies. Such a case is that of Blackwater Park's popularity.

Well, shitfar, slap me on the nuts Susie and call me Dr. Freud! Got us a live one here!

(no, really...these are good points. I just get tired of seeing dorky metal guys preaching the gospel of Morningrise. It makes me bitchy and cranky, obviously...)

Hey, sure!

Doesn't matter who wrote what basslines, the fact remains that they give Morningrise a definite groove that the later (and earlier) albums lack. It may not be better, but it does stand out - though all the albums have their intricacies which catch our ears.

This thread bears significance in my life right now, as I'm just starting to jam To Bid You Farewell with my gf's bro on bass - he's more a slap-bassist (is that a term?), but he's having a great time with the aforementioned groove.

Fuck, I love that groove.

np: To Bid You Farewell (through the wall)

I really hate comments like that. In the future everyone...an Orchid determines your sexual preference! The rules to being a straight male just got finer. Grimm must feel like his masculinity is being challenged when he puts this into his CD deck then.

HaloX said:
I really hate comments like that. In the future everyone...an Orchid determines your sexual preference! The rules to being a straight male just got finer. Grimm must feel like his masculinity is being challenged when he puts this into his CD deck then.

no, considering i don't own it. it's not going anywhere near my cd player.

What a shithead you are Niel.
Morningrise is by FAR the best Opeth album.I used to own every damn album but sold em all but Morningrise.
Stop whining and buy some black metal cds, you babies!
What do you suggest? Dark funeral and Cradle of filth ? Just shut up poser.

Divine_intent said:
What a shithead you are Niel.
Just shut up poser.
Crank up the Narnia!

Sounds like someone's cranky cause their favorite album that was made 6 years ago will never be made again...sniff, sniff...here's your tissue...

So, you literally owned and sold all the other Opeth cds after listening to them, huh? Boy, I bet we have lots of musical tastes in common...:Smug: