The enduring Morningrise phenomenon

I'm probably the only one on here who hasn't got either of the first two albums yet o_O

Brooks said:
Am I the only one that LOVES the production on Morningrise? Its so simple... one guitar on the left, one on the right, bass in the middle, and a drumkit with AMAZING ambient reverb. Listen to the snare drum on To Bid You Farewell, its stunning in its texture. It sounds like the album was recorded on a cold Swedish night in the woods during a snowstorm. The atmosphere is amazing in its nihilism and bleakness. Its not nearly as overproduced as the newer albums, it still sounds like a bunch of guys jamming in a woodshed in the forest. Brilliantly.
I agree. The production on Orchid and Morningrise is mesmerizing.

Moningrise is
bowdown.gif

Well... I have to say I like all the opeth albums up to deliverance the same! cant pick a favorite.. I started with My arms your hearse.. got the first two next.. and bought the others when they came out! Never been disapointed with an opeth CD or SONG for that matter yet. I dont understand how an opeth fan couldnt like the first cd's.. they are masterpieces.. Like come on.. Morningrise.. not ONE song under 10 minutes.. now that rules. I think that some of you need to give your head a quick ( or possibly a real violent sitting of head shaking ) and listen to the first few cd's again! :)

I wish they would play more songs off their old cd's live :( ahh well.. its a win win situation with Opeth..

Damn u right !
What about In Mist , Forest (1 time out of 50 they play that song hehe ) , Nectar , BRI ( Let me Dream plz ) or TBYFarewell.
However , I understand they (want to ? ) play more songs from the new records.
If they release a DVD , one day , I hope it'll include both old and new stuff in 2 different sets or a in a 4 hour one : The ultimate show :D

Brooks said:
Listen to Morningrise more, once you understand the flow, it all makes sense. It's one of those albums that doesn't grab you till the 43rd listen, but when it does, it'll hit you like a sack of smegma.

Best album ever.

I would have to agree with you on this. I've listened to Morningrise since it was released, but only this week...while listening too it in my car did it truly send me reeling. The whole album just crept up and made so much sense. This kind of melancholic feeling tinged with anger yet it felt so lush...BRI sounded different for some reason, and I could finally, truly appreciate this song. It might of been my state of mind at the time and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get to that place again.

I feel that to truly understand Opeth's progression, you had to have experienced them in their proper order - that is, as they were being released. When Orchid first came out, there was nothing that you could really compare it to. Morningrise was a lot harder to get into (musically it's more dense,etc.) compared to the immediate catchiness of Orchid, but eventually it made sense. MAYH completely shattered my perception of Opeth and I thought it was over for them. Eventually, I saw the light :)

I think that it must be so very hard for a fan to understand the genius of Opeth's early material if they started with BWP or Deliverance. Say what you will, but us older fans had no other Opeth albums in our subconscious to cloud our judgement. Listening to Opeth backwards would be brutal IMO! I don't thinks would make sense if I heard Still Life before Orchid. Can you imagine a time when some of us were waiting for Opeth's new album after Morningrise and wonder what direction they'd go next?

In any case, even though I've been with Opeth since the very beginning, I'm thinking that BWP may be their most complete album (up to BWP, Morningrise was my favourite).

Nebularus said:
I feel that to truly understand Opeth's progression, you had to have experienced them in their proper order - that is, as they were being released. When Orchid first came out, there was nothing that you could really compare it to. Morningrise was a lot harder to get into (musically it's more dense,etc.) compared to the immediate catchiness of Orchid, but eventually it made sense. MAYH completely shattered my perception of Opeth and I thought it was over for them. Eventually, I saw the light :)

I think that it must be so very hard for a fan to understand the genius of Opeth's early material if they started with BWP or Deliverance. Say what you will, but us older fans had no other Opeth albums in our subconscious to cloud our judgement. Listening to Opeth backwards would be brutal IMO! I don't thinks would make sense if I heard Still Life before Orchid. Can you imagine a time when some of us were waiting for Opeth's new album after Morningrise and wonder what direction they'd go next?

In any case, even though I've been with Opeth since the very beginning, I'm thinking that BWP may be their most complete album (up to BWP, Morningrise was my favourite).

99% of people (in my experience) get into Morningrise FAR easier than Orchid - me included. I started with Blackwater Park, and I prefer all 4 which preceeded it (possibly excluding Orchid).