Orchid vs Morningrise

Orchid or Morningrise?

• Total voters

in limbow

wobmil ni
Sep 9, 2005
United States
Forgive me if this has been done before.

I would definitely say Morningrise, seeing as it is my favorite Opeth album. But, Orchid has it's moments. There are some really great vocals harmony parts on Forests of October and Apostle in Triumph. And In Mist She Was Standing is a fucking masterpiece. Though overall Morningrise has better flow and not a weak song. Plus, there's not as much of the hokey "forest" lyrics, and when there is it doesn't sound dumb. It just feels more like a personal album to me, especially with a song like The Night and the Silent Water, I can just hear the pain of experiencing a relative's demise.

Orchid, for sure. I have a feeling that in the long run, Morningrise will win out though. So many people have some uncanny attachment with it.

For me, Orchid was always more uplifting and interesting... it was an album that the random arrangement of songs really suited, simply because the riffs in themselves were so kickass. Morningrise just seems a lot more boring in comparison.

I can't really choose. For me, Morningrise feels like the "2nd disc" of a double album, where the 1st disc is obviously Orchid. They are both brilliant.

I liked Orchid more overall. It just has a certain charming unpolishedness to it (you can hear it was their debut). Morningrise has a few songs that drag on a bit too much in my opinion. I know Black Rose Immortal is held in high regard by a lot of Opeth fans but I think it could easily stand to lose 5 minutes and be all the better for it.

Reclusive Strike said:
I can't really choose. For me, Morningrise feels like the "2nd disc" of a double album, where the 1st disc is obviously Orchid. They are both brilliant.
Well they were both written around the sme time. Advent and BRI were started in the early 90's but not done until late 95 or early 96.

Forest-of-October said:
Another thing I noticed with Morningrise is the shitty production. Orchid, although recorded before MR, has a far superior sound to it.

Shitty production? hahahaha

You're joking right? It has the best production of any Opeth album - not the cleanest but certainly the most atmospheric

I like them both, although they don't stand up to anything they've done later on, but it seems Morningrise was a small but sure step forward, so I'd say - Morningrise

in limbow said:
Forgive me if this has been done before.

No, Never. You are dead to me now......Just kidding...:p .

Seeing as Orchid and Still Life are my two favorite Opeth cds...Orchid is easily better then morningrise in my opinion.

Forest-of-October said:
Ummm. Yeah. Thats kinda what I meant. :err:
Compare the quality of this to say, Ghost Reveries. Theres a monsterous difference.

I kinda prefer the rougher sound of Orchid and Morningrise to the crisp sound they have today. Nonetheless they both suit Opeth's style of music at the time fortunately.

And I'll say a tie.

Well my favourite album is MAYH, by far. But out of Orchid and Morningrise, I'll have to say Morningrise. Orchid is fucking amazing and I love it to bits, but I'll say Morningrise.

Morningrise is the album that got me into opeth, and advent is definately in the top 3 opeth songs.
on the other hand, orchid has some songs that never grabbed me..
i chose morningrise.

time to give orchid another spin :)