Morningrise

Towelie

A God in my own mind
Nov 15, 2001
Atlanta and Chicago
Visit site
I know I know... this is going to be sacriledge... but for the longest time... Morningrise was my least favorite Opeth album... I just couldn't get into it... I listened to it one day all the way through and it finally just clicked... now it's currently my favorite album and I can't listen to anything else!! Jeez... the bass lines on Advent and Nectar are simply amazing... and the melodies in the guitar through the whole CD are just breathtaking... Black Rose Immortal is currently my favorite Opeth song and I can't believe it's one of the first pieces Mikael ever wrote... it's just amazing... and the To Bid You Farewell is just the perfect ending for a perfect CD... wow... that's all I can say... I keep listening to Orchid... I hope it clicks with me soon... because I still only like a couple songs on it... I'm sure it will though.

Zack

well u people are missing out with that orchid thing!

as with all opeth albums, orchid is unique and has a feeling about it that the others dont, imo anyway

its kinda more relaxing, doesnt get as emotionally involved
well thats what it does for me anyway!

as for morningrise, i find that i only ever want to listen to one of the first 3 songs (i always listen to BRI and TBYF), i dunno why but if i listen to more than one of the first 3 songs i get too eager for BRI and TBYF and end up skipping to them!

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
as for morningrise, i find that i only ever want to listen to one of the first 3 songs (i always listen to BRI and TBYF), i dunno why but if i listen to more than one of the first 3 songs i get too eager for BRI and TBYF and end up skipping to them!

I always treat it as one big song. I have never stopped listening halfway thorugh or skipped a song on that album!

The Morningrise album is fine, but i think that Blackwater Park is really better, Iwon't say the best, because there are projects for Opeth and surely better than the last one. The Leper Affinity is a real good track, and the "finale" is supreme those chords in the piano make the song truly depressive and dark as well, Bleak is a second big hit in this album, and if you ask me which one is better To Bid you Farewell or Harvest, I would vote for the last one, it has the real suicidal sense and the harmonies sond greater, though the first one is truly great... and so i can continue with all the tracks in the album, but, it's better know more opinions...

Originally posted by The_Wanderer
It takes time to love Morningrise. But when you begin you can´t stop. It´s so amazing: the bass, the growls , the clean parts.

You got that right.

Orchid is the best fucken shit, and if anyone can't get into it... wtf are you doing on this board. GO LISTEN!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Towelie
I DO love the apostle, in mist she was standing, and the weeping moon!

forest?
twilight?

The birds of the sun separates...

I think that most groups early efforts have been honed over a period of years, while their later stuff is music they have just created, giving them less to choose from. However the playing and production quality gets better as they go along, balancing things somewhat.

I completely agree with YaYoGakk. There is something in Orchid that no other Opeth album or maybe even ANY album from ANY band has. Morningrise comes close. Still I rather think Orchid and Morningrise as one whole and usually (if I just have enough time) I listen to them in row. For me it fits perfectly that way.