New occult album vs. Orchid

osse87

Feb 6, 2003
Bergen, Norway
Visit site
In an old interview which probably took place right after the release of MAYH Mikael said something about Orchid dealing with good vs. evil and such. Also he said that it can be found on the cover. He said something like "the beautiful flower on the black sad background".

It's been a long time since I read that intervew so I can be mistaking, but does Orchid really do that? I don't know what Mikael mean with "occult" reagarding the new album but if it's something similar then they've done it before :loco:

Also, does anyone know where I can find this interview? A looong interview about the whole band and all albums. Blue text on grey background I think.

I hope the new CD is BM. Of course I don't think it will be like Bathory style BM, I would assume it would sound more along the lines of Enslaved's new CD.

But, who knows? I can't wait for it!...

Well Orchid wasn't really based on the occult i don't think. From what i can gather it's just basically a bunch of songs about evilness and stuff, with different styled lyrics thrown in for good measure.

If the occult themed concept album is gonna go ahead then i would think it would lean more towards actual occult, which is a very broad range of subjects. Maybe it will include some ritual descriptions of some sort, or maybe... ah who knows.

Personally i don't mind that much as long as the music kicks ass, which i have no reason to doubt.

The thing with the Orchid cover... I read in some interview that this cover wanted to represent the essence of Opeth's music, which is "beauty" (the orchid) in "darkness" (the black background), if that can give any light. Then, "the occult" for the new album will be as far as the lyrical theme is concerned. As for music, I expect some good and heavy black metal stuff!

really******loud said:
JUST REMEMBER WHERE DEATH METAL CAME FROM. I don't care if a band is satanic in its writing, as its usually made up rubbish-(like early BATHORY). If it kicks ass it kicks ass!!! nuff said.
Where did it come from? I have no idea.

as long as its not biggeted like dimmu borgir i cant stand stand that burn the christian shit but i dont think opeth are like that maybe it will be stuff like demon of the fall style i think that would be AWSOME seeing that was such a great song and it would be cool to see more songs like it

I still have no idea whatsoever why you have such a problem with it being satanic Osse. And you didn't answer me if you listen to Still Life in the other thread [regarding the fact that you said something like "RELIGION BLERGH BOLLOCKS!!11"].

I would WANT it to have at least a hint to a satanic theme in the concept,but the production should still be top notch,no black metal in that sense...

Also, I think you might have misunderstood me. The new album deal with Satanism, I don't have any problem with that, as long as it's not Satanic, if you catch my drift. :erk:

Still Life dealt with religion, but it wasn't religious.

I'm Guybrush Threepwood! I'm a miiiiiiggggggggghty pirate!

Sorry...just had to do that.

Hrm...I trust Opeth to release another awesome album :D they're evolving musicians that always impress me with whatever they release. About the occult thing, I just really hope that it doesn't have Mikael singing about Satan and being Antichrist like how Deicide does...