strange edition of Orchid.

cyanopsis

Dec 11, 2001
Falun, Sweden
Today I got a copy of Orchid (my second one) and it kind of differs from what I expected. I am just a collector trying to complete my Opeth collection so I ordered the Orchid with the crappy bonus track from Ginza.se (swedish retailer). The site states that this is the re-issue but I actuially got a different kind of original.

The front doesn't have the logo but the orchid is a little more pink than on the original and the CD itself is a little bit darker blue. The most noticable difference is that if I turn the CD, the area surrounding the hole is also blue - i.e. the plastic isn't transparent as it is on the original. Apart from that, they are pretty much identical.

For what I understand, the original pressings are sold out. Does anybody else have this edition? Lee, do you know anything about this pressing?

/Peter

I can't say I have that edition, but my Orchid CD (re-issue) has that opaque CD-middle thing that you were going on about. But my CD is black, and the front cover has the logo on.

Match the catalogue number with the ones they have on the official site discography. Sounds like you have an original. Did it come with the bonus tracks? If not, than it's probably an original. Is it Candlelight or Century Media?

the very first version is actually blue, and has got no logo on the cover... but also ahsn't got the bonus track. so, explain better... or it seems you have some hybrid version...

Ok, I'll try to be more specifik.

I actually own both the original european edition as well as this new edition, which doesn't have the bonus track on it and has the same catalogue number as the original (CANDLE010CD). The differences between them are mainly graphical and not textual: lighter cover, darker blue, not transparent in the middle.

Also, I just discovered this - on the back side of the CD, there are printings around the hole:

The original says:
SNA - CANDLE 010 CD - 08179510 - SNA - IFPI L600

The new edition says:
CANDLE010CD - 00668 - AAC1562 - IFPI L123 - IFPI L123 !!!and the text on this one is mirrored, making it hard to read!!!

The last thing I am puzzled by is a holographic sticker on the back side of the jewelcase.

there are black numbers on top of the sticker saying: (0) 6184785

The holographic picture repeatedly says: ORYGINALNY PRODUKT and the words ZPAV and ZAIKS also repeated. A picture of a CD changes to a cassette when the sticker is tilted.

The sticker is clearly a Polish one, making me think that this is either a pirate pressing of the original or, more likely, that the original CD without the bonus track has been re-issued and that this has been done through an official contract with a Polish presser - without our knowledge that this was going to be done.

Does anybody else have the european original? What do the numbers on the back side say?

/Peter

I think my brother left his original Orchid jewel case at home before he left...... I'll check when I get home.

Reactions: Rusty
Not the re-issue that I've got. I suppose that so many people were used to the wrong version (and probably didn't even realise it was wrong, hehe) that they decided to keep it that way to avoid confusion.

Ibsen:
Well, ZPAV is for ZWIAZEK PRODUCENTOW AUDIO VIDEO - Some sort of audio/video production company in Poland. So wether V is used or not, it's still Polish.

Mr Niel:
Requiem is about 1.10 and then there's a 1.30 minute continuation of acustics in the beginning of Apostle - this is what you mean right?! There are no differences between the European original and this new one.

The MYAH re issue cd has a darker cover than the european original one and the mornigrise re issue has some flaws in the printing, a thin white line on the edge of the booklet and the image in the middle is black and white. they re issue covers have lower quality prints it seems.

Yes, ive seen that. I have both the Morningrise original and the re-issue of the same CD. The cover of the re-issue really lacks the "fullness" of the original - it looks like it has been done on a xerox-machine.

I am thinking of ordering Orchid again to get the actual re-issue to compare all three of them.

My version is the blue disc with the beautiful Orchid on the cover. Cat. No. CANDLE010CD and on the back of the disc the numbers are AAC1562 00668. Hope that helps?