Orchid and Morningrise on Century Black - Pics?

bosomblob

Jun 4, 2008
I just 'inherited' some cds from a friend and among them were the Century Black releases of Orchid and Morningrise. I've never seen these before, but the Orchid in particular looks like it might be a bootleg. The cd face is blue, with the word 'Opeth' in silver on the top. Overlaying that, in smaller black font, are the words 'Opeth' and 'Orchid' on two separate lines. Aside from the cover, the entire booklet is black and white.

The Morningris disc looks the same, except it is grey, not blue, and says 'Morningrise' instead of 'Orchid' on it (duh). Booklet looks the same as my store bought, new, Morningrise.

So, to anyone who has the CM Black releases of these, can you please verify or deny their authenticity?

Thanks.

I just 'inherited' some cds from a friend and among them were the Century Black releases of Orchid and Morningrise. I've never seen these before, but the Orchid in particular looks like it might be a bootleg. The cd face is blue, with the word 'Opeth' in silver on the top. Overlaying that, in smaller black font, are the words 'Opeth' and 'Orchid' on two separate lines. Aside from the cover, the entire booklet is black and white.

The Morningris disc looks the same, except it is grey, not blue, and says 'Morningrise' instead of 'Orchid' on it (duh). Booklet looks the same as my store bought, new, Morningrise.

So, to anyone who has the CM Black releases of these, can you please verify or deny their authenticity?

Thanks.

Dude, those are real.

Groovy, thanks. Wasn't sure because of that black 'n white Orchid booklet. And the design on the actual cd itself is pretty cheesy compared to the classy look that most Opeth cds have, with the black on black or silver on white.

I had the Morningrise one a loooooooooong time ago, and I haven't been able to find it for years upon years. It's probably gone:cry:.

They could be worth something if they're in decent condition...:cool:

I had the Morningrise one a loooooooooong time ago, and I haven't been able to find it for years upon years. It's probably gone:cry:.

They could be worth something if they're in decent condition...:cool:

did u lose it or something?

did u lose it or something?

I think I did. After moving so many times and misplacing shit, plus I really never took very good care of my shit when I was younger, and now I kick myself in the ass for it. It was the first Opeth CD I ever got too, back in like '98 or '99. Fuck, that hurts!!:(:cry::mad:

I've got those. But like I said before in the past, I've been a fan since '96, so naturally I'd have those issues. I have close to 1500 cds, and I'm very anal about my music. Every time I move, my cds are the first thing I pack up. It takes about 1.5 hours to do it. I have 4 big rubbermaid containers that they go in. I've NEVER loaned ANYONE, not even my best friend, one of my albums. And I never ask anyone to loan me their's. I'll gladly make a copy of a few songs off an album, but never loan them out. This avoids animosity, if somehow they've misplaced them. When I take them with me when driving, I have a shoebox I keep them in. And regardless of how many times I go somewhere that day, they always come back in the house with me.
You have to be vigilant, and protective, even if people think you're a dick. I'm not selfish, it's just that I worked hard for every one I have. I guess being really poor growing up made me this way, but I just watched my friends when younger, leave their's laying around, getting booze spilled on them, stepped on, and never returned, when borrowed. Especially from girls, cock teasing them at parties.

I've got those. But like I said before in the past, I've been a fan since '96, so naturally I'd have those issues. I have close to 1500 cds, and I'm very anal about my music. Every time I move, my cds are the first thing I pack up. It takes about 1.5 hours to do it. I have 4 big rubbermaid containers that they go in. I've NEVER loaned ANYONE, not even my best friend, one of my albums. And I never ask anyone to loan me their's. I'll gladly make a copy of a few songs off an album, but never loan them out. This avoids animosity, if somehow they've misplaced them. When I take them with me when driving, I have a shoebox I keep them in. And regardless of how many times I go somewhere that day, they always come back in the house with me.
You have to be vigilant, and protective, even if people think you're a dick. I'm not selfish, it's just that I worked hard for every one I have. I guess being really poor growing up made me this way, but I just watched my friends when younger, leave their's laying around, getting booze spilled on them, stepped on, and never returned, when borrowed. Especially from girls, cock teasing them at parties.

This guys got the right idea!:kickass:

It may be very over informative, but that's how it is with certain friends, and strangers you just meet that seem to be cool. But, when your music collection is involved, it's fucking yours, and there's so many people that can be insensitive, and inconsiderate of how you came to get your collection. In some people's eyes, they don't see how "it's that big of a deal, it was only 10-20 bucks, geez"- if they lost your albums. But, in the case of album's first issues, a lot of times you're not going to find them again, years later. I don't have a big collection, because I want to go around saying "I have a big collection, are you impressed?" Music means a LOT to me. As long as it's taken care of, it's always there, not like a great steak, or piece of cake, beer....etc., that's fleeting.
That's where I can heavily relate to Mikael Akerfeldt....he always talks about his collection. And all those rarities, and more obscure bands have apparently rubbed off in his band.

I saw the Century Black MAYHS (which I also have) go for about 8 bucks on eBay recently. Are Orchid and Morningrise really that much more valuable? Anyone have any idea what they might be worth? I'm looking to sell 'em anyway, since I really don't care to own multiple versions of the same cd, and I've already got all these on Candlelight.

Thanks.

Groovy, thanks. Wasn't sure because of that black 'n white Orchid booklet. And the design on the actual cd itself is pretty cheesy compared to the classy look that most Opeth cds have, with the black on black or silver on white.

Guess what I found in an old article on Metal Maniac

"The original pressing of Orchid featured a blue disc print. Peter Lindgren on the mysterious blue disc: "We wanted the orchid on the CD, but the CD plant told Le Barrett it wouldn't fit, so he had to come up with sth else. So, he chose blue. When we received the CD, we were like, 'it's fucking blue!' "
:lol::lol:

^That reminds me, thanks! I was thinking the other day, that I need to go in the garage, and dig out all my Metal Maniac issues, dating back about 10 years or more.
It's kind of funny to re-read some of their reviews years later......especially the ones that predict "in a few years, this band will be as big as..."