Orchid and Morningrise are the worst Opeth albums.

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
I was wondering lately, what's the deal with all the praises aimed to Orchid and Morningrise. Then I remembered when I first got into Opeth, those 2 were my favorites. The more I broaden my musical horizons, the more these 2 albums sounded boring and superficial. I mean, there's no doubt that the song-writing is very poor and I'll not mention the pseudo-intellectual lyrics.

So yeah, those who still claim that Orchid and Morningrise are their best album, please tell me why...I'm lost.

It's because Orchid and Morningrise started Opeth.

Or.. maybe it's just because they like it. o_O

The atmosphere of the albums does it for me, as well as the beautiful acoustics and the general style. MAYH, Morningrise and Blackwater Park are my 3 favourites. Orchid isn't *that* good but still damn good.

I love it. BRI, Twilight, Apostle, Advent, Forest, In the Mist, TBYF, and TNATSW..you can't go wrong with those.

I love the foresty feel, the lyrics (even if they are pseudo-intellectual), and the acoustic passages.

Cama_Zotz said:
It's because Orchid and Morningrise started Opeth.

Or.. maybe it's just because they like it. o_O
Yes that's cool with me if they like it but some people do like Britney Spears too, that doesn't mean her music is not relatively superficial.

Flood said:
I love it. BRI, Twilight, Apostle, Advent, Forest, In the Mist, TBYF, and TNATSW..you can't go wrong with those.

I love the foresty feel, the lyrics (even if they are pseudo-intellectual), and the acoustic passages.
I agree with the acoustic passages being very rich. But as song-writing goes, it's really poor IMO.

Hmmm...

I guess for me the songs have a more "cutout" feeling... You know, like if they were more distinctively separated in parts rather than being a whole... I love some of those songs and yes, they have a particular feeling, but to me they seem more like distinct parts assembled than whole complete songs.

Just my opinion, in any case :p

Blackout said:
Hmmm...

I guess for me the songs have a more "cutout" feeling... You know, like if they were more distinctively separated in parts rather than being a whole... I love some of those songs and yes, they have a particular feeling, but to me they seem more like distinct parts assembled than whole complete songs.

Just my opinion, in any case :p
That's the feeling I get as well...

I think Orchid is the worst Opeth album even though it's great but I love Morningrise. The acoustic passages are incredible, very atmospheric. It took me a long, long time to like Morningrise and Orchid though, mainly cos of the "split up" feeling of each song.

I agree. I can't understand why so many people love Morningrise and don't like Orchid. Everything from the guitar sound to the style of songwriting is the same, if anything even better on Orchid - Morningrise is a lot catchier.

changso said:
I was wondering lately, what's the deal with all the praises aimed to Orchid and Morningrise. Then I remembered when I first got into Opeth, those 2 were my favorites. The more I broaden my musical horizons, the more these 2 albums sounded boring and superficial. I mean, there's no doubt that the song-writing is very poor and I'll not mention the pseudo-intellectual lyrics.

So yeah, those who still claim that Orchid and Morningrise are their best album, please tell me why...I'm lost.
Makes me want to shoot myself right now that im so pissed by this comment,/

Okay best because, they are flows, meaning they never repeat the same section after done wit it. Making it seem almost like classical music, where u rarely hear sections repeated,,,,,, Still Life and on many can see the big diffrence, there is more singing, and sections of sogns are repeated more then once,,, or such as white cluster, drappery falls, theyll have 2 verses and choruses then a interlude/solo,,, or leper invinity, bleak, fair judgement where u have 2 verses and choruses then a good interlude, then either repeating of a previous chorus or/and both,, making the Still Life and on albums' songs seems like any average format song except with talent haha but thats maybe the main reason the first 2-3 are the best because they break the most away from basic song writing and are just flows...........

Go ahead and attack my spelling haha

loebs said:
Makes me want to shoot myself right now that im so pissed by this comment,/

Okay best because, they are flows, meaning they never repeat the same section after done wit it. Making it seem almost like classical music, where u rarely hear sections repeated,,,,,, Still Life and on many can see the big diffrence, there is more singing, and sections of sogns are repeated more then once,,, or such as white cluster, drappery falls, theyll have 2 verses and choruses then a interlude/solo,,, or leper invinity, bleak, fair judgement where u have 2 verses and choruses then a good interlude, then either repeating of a previous chorus or/and both,, making the Still Life and on albums' songs seems like any average format song except with talent haha but thats maybe the main reason the first 2-3 are the best because they break the most away from basic song writing and are just flows...........

Go ahead and attack my spelling haha
please don't do that...

It seems we don't share the same view on "flowing". Riff patching through the whole song doesn't make it flow, at least to me.
But it's ok...differences is the spice of the world :)

I like most Opeth pretty much all the same, with Blackwater Park and Still Life being my favorites.
I like the first two, there's something about the bad production and the almost distant mood in them that gives them sort of a unique feel.
But I agree the songwriting wasn't nearly as good, it was more or less parts cut and pasted.

For me, it's the overall feel. The harmonies, the atmosphere, everything. I mean, listen to about 0:44-1:25 in The Twilight Is My Robe and tell me that does not destroy, for a section. It stands out with me as my favorite part in any song, ever. It just, overall, is my favorite time in Opeth. And my musical "interests" are not shallow as far as I know, so that has nothing to do with it. I just prefer the sound. So sue me if you disagree, all you'll get is a big fat "fuck off".