Pre-Orchid recordings

ecksemmess

Apr 13, 2009
Sorry if this has been discussed before, couldn't find a relevant thread on Search.

Is there any good list anywhere of the pre-Orchid recordings of Opeth (or any other Mikael Akerfeldt project) that have surfaced? If not, let's try and make one- I've only found two to date.

The live set at Akalla, Stockholm, 1991

and a recording I've seen labelled sometimes as a rehearsal and other times as a demo tape, from 1993.

I suppose for completeness, the 1992 rehearsal recording that the band took "Into the Frost of Winter" and "Eternal Soul Torture" from for the reissues of Orchid and Morningrise should be included.

So that's 3 known pre-Orchid recordings, two fully obtainable and one only partially obtainable. Does anyone know of anything else?

From German Wikipedia:

Demos

* 1991: Demo '91
* 1993: Apostle in Triumph
* 1993: Rehearsal
* 1994: Promo

I think I've got the first two.

OK, so there's

1991 - Akalla
1992 - Reh tape used for Orchid/Morningrise (full tape not available?)
1993 - Demo/Reh tape with Black Rose Immortal
1993 (1994?) - Apostle In Triumph promo

So, those are pretty easy to obtain -- but then I also found in an old thread that there's a tape called Dark Phantasia from 1991 as well as video footage of Opeth's first gig, pre-Akerfeldt (!!), David Isberg was on here and offering it to people, so someone on the board has to have these... would kill to get 'em!

And Blackhorse Experience implied a few places that he has more demos/promos, but never any details?

i would love to hear opeth re-record 'into the frost of winter', it has such potential.

Mike recently mentioned that the entire back catalog may be remixed in surround. Not sure how that will be with MR, as I think the problem is in the tracking, not the master. But it could mean that a better sounding version of it will be available at some point.