Bands that play in the Orchid/Morningrise style

the jester race hm? well...granted a few songs on there are easily among the best in the In Flames catalog...i would say its a FAR cry from their best album. Colony, Lunar Strain and probably even whoracle exceed it in almost every way for me. Lunar Strain has the melodic folk vibe beyond any other album ive heard in metal with that kind of authenticity. Colony is just the peak of In Flames' creativity and songwriting in my eyes...and whoracle, which is basically the Jester Race 2.0

but it seems the Jester Race has turned into the Still Life of In Flames for some reason or another. *shrug*

TehLeperAffinity said:
At least they're better than Judas Priest.

tell me youre NOT serious?

early immortal was very nice...mid era immortal was fairly unique and well done...later immortal (raped in black/sons of northern gayness)...were shit.

but on no level does any of it touch priest.

priest are meh compared.

And later immortal (last 3 albums) slay...specially heart of winter

Ah, good, that reminds me, I gotta go back and finish off learning those sweeps in 'Painkiller'! Great track that one... much respect for Priest. Those riffs, to me, are the embodiment of what metal is.

EDIT: About the thread merge: Believe me, the skill didn't come without its casualties. Unfortunately you see, they don't give you a 'moderating for dummies' guidebook when you start here. So, a few threads suffered their demise whilst I was randomly clicking buttons left and right all those months ago :).

i wouldnt go as far as to say priest are terrible....moonie is right when those riffs embody metal but so many bands have surpassed priest since their reign

I have to agree. Metal has moved forward since the old days, but it's still good to put on that stuff because of the sentimental value, and the fact that it's more up-beat, kinda 'party' metal :). Whenever I'm at a friend's party, you'll always hear Painkiller blaring.

yeah you know its not the best but because of its "lineage" you can help but like it. Shame that nowadays all party-style metal is rubbish or non-existent :-( I suppose priest arent that bad afterall for the simple fact that they're nice and upbeat! I might actually play it now....btw have you guys heard the arch enemy cover of it? its not too bad

so, we've come up with unmoored, 'jester race' in flames, and 'at the heart of winter' immortal. anything else? orchid and morningrise are incredible albums. i used to hate them but that was only because i was naive and dumb.

i just got an ulver album from the end records. it's "themes from william blake's...." looking foward to listening to it.

meh, while i'm at it, i also picked up:
symphony x - v
watchtower - demonstration in chaos
candlemass - ancient dreams
syl - alien

if anyone wants to recommend me some other shit, just pm me. dont go overboard though. i cant buy everything.