Do you agree with the opinion that anyone who's listened to every Opeth album....

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
.... 50+ times will most probably pick Morningrise as his favourite? The argument comes from, people, according to this guy, seem to pick SL or BWP because it was these albums that got them into Opeth. So once they began to dig the band, they went ahead and picked up their back catalog, going backwards with MAYH, Morningrise and Orchid. But because the first two albums are relatively harder to connect with (perhaps due to the long songs with complex structures) they always ended up playing the post-Morningrise stuff more and more, usually coming to the conclusion that SL or BWP are their favourites. Wheras, according to this guy, if they'd got into Opeth back in 1996 where SL and BWP hadn't been released yet, they would have had more time to check out Orchid and Morningrise and let them sink in. After that, with the release of the other albums they would have a better standpoint to compare the follow-ups and usually end up deciding nothing could touch Morningrise's brilliance, or maybe Orchid's.

Yes? Any comments?

NP: Nightingale - The Closing Chronicles

I doubt it, but I don't think I've listened to any of my Opeth cds 50 times. Morningrise seems a bit disjointed compared to their other albums; the more I listen to their other albums and then listen to Morningrise, the more I notice. So, I doubt it'll ever be my favorite.

Speedkill said:
I doubt it, but I don't think I've listened to any of my Opeth cds 50 times. Morningrise seems a bit disjointed compared to their other albums; the more I listen to their other albums and then listen to Morningrise, the more I notice. So, I doubt it'll ever be my favorite.

Yes I agree, I believe every musician progresses to be better musician, as time passes and the more they play, making it hard for me to like earlier albums of bands more than the newer stuff that sounds so much more accomplished than it.
I really like Orchid and Morningrise, but I see them as a springboard to the new heights they are reaching with every release, I respect those albums but don't like them as much as anything after them!

Just my humble opinion:saint:

Mezarkabul said:
.The argument comes from, people, according to this guy, seem to pick SL or BWP because it was these albums that got them into Opeth.
BLACKWATER PARK was my first Opeth album and I think it's their least impressive... STILL LIFE was my third to last and it's my absolute favorite. There was no correlation between when I bought the album and how much I liked it. Hence, I don't agree with your argument... :)

I like Morningrise the most of any of their albums...just has something special...the quiet high-hat drumming on night and silent water gets me every time.

Thats bullshit. I got BWP, worked me way backwards, and thought and still think that Orchid is better than Morningrise. I've listened to Morningrise EXTENSIVELY, and after a short and passionate love affair with it, got sick of its randomness and lack of flow and concluded without uncertainty that Orchid is better.

Well, I'm not sure if I agree, mostly because I can't fully understand what you mean in some of your sentences. Anyway, I started with MAYH and I like MAYH the most.

I disagree. I don't think I've listened to any 50 times. Well, maybe a combined total from random song listening if added up. But still, I don't see why Morningrise is supposed to be so spectacularly better than everything else. It's great, but it has its weak moments like the rest.

BWP is probably the only Opeth album that's passed 50 listenings for me. Damnation will too, eventually.. probably Still Life and MAYH also... but Orchid and Morningrise just aren't as good as their newer releases (not counting Deliverance, which hasn't really clicked for me yet).

Ya, this theory is absolute bullshit. Orchid and Morningrise were the first albums that got me into Opeth. However, BWP had just been released when I started listening to Opeth. I listened to BWP, and I didn't care for it because I was big on Morningrise (I loved Advent and Black Rose Immortal :)); it wasn't till later I really listened to SL and BWP and discovered their brilliance. So what ended up happening is that I love all of Opeth's albums, really practically all the same. Though I'd have to say SL is pretty much my personal favorite b/c I feel it's the most poetic and closest to my epic-beauty liking.

But that's just me...

I don't agree, although I belong to the group of people that you described...

I got Still Life and BWP first, and then Orchid, Morningrise and MAYH two months later.
Still Life has always been my fav album; MAYH has grown to be my second fav, with Blackwater Park and Deliverance behind (don't have a certain order here).

BUT: There was a time where I listened to Orchid and Morningrise very extensively, enjoying their beauty and getting lost in the music (and sometimes falling asleep too... :D ).

Now after that period, I still liked the other albums more than Orchid and Morningrise. I think that's because the songs on Morningrise and Orchid are only losely connected, not as tight as on the later albums, and don't have that massive power of sound.

I also really hate the production on Morningrise. The guitars sound like angry hornets... even Orchid sounds better.

Actually when I listen to Orchid or Morningrise it's almost always late in the evening when I'm in a very calm mood.

I'd have to say SL is pretty much my personal favorite b/c I feel it's the most poetic and closest to my epic-beauty liking.

Couldn't have said it better. :)

Disclaimer: I like all albums very much, so no flaming please.

Stop that shit about the production of Morningrise and Orchid already. If you buy a painting, you buy it for the art, not the frame.

morningrise was the album that introduced me to opeth and for a long time the two first albums was my favorites, but after a while MAYH became the ONE. there is something about the flow and desperate intensity to MAYH that capture me in a very personal way. but , that goes for any opeth album really.

I've only got BWP and Deliverance... but I've heard the others. I like the newer stuff because I prefer their modern sound, I'm not really into the more extreme death metal. My favourite songs are all the acoustic ones (Harvest, all of Damnation, etc).