Deliverance is the Culmination of all the Previous Opeth Efforts

Originally posted by skyshock1
I couldn't agree more.

OUCH! I don't know if I quite agree with that comparison. I don't think it's Steve that made them do an album like deliverance. I actually hear less of his influence on Deliverance than I do on BP or Still Life.
Steve Wilson didn't even know Opeth at the time Still Life was being recorded.

Deliverance Is a good album. Opeth's best? Not in my opinion, but opinions are like assholes. I'm not thrilled to death by anything on this album, on either the musicianship side or the production side, except for the drumming, which is awesome. It's probably my second least-favorite Opeth album, ranking just above Orchid.

As for saying anyone who doesn't love this album isn't a true Opeth fan.. maybe you should get a job with Pat Robertson.

It's my humble opinion that Deliverance is the best freaking Opeth album to date:headbang:

Every song is memorable to me and each (except 'for absent friends' perhaps) has at least one godly moment. And yeah, Wreath has become my favorite Opeth song of all time. It's too damn powerful (especially that riff at the end before they end with the intro riff...I don't know why but when Mike screams "Spiritual decay" I get chills everytime). But every song really stands out on it's own.

Some people say it's too repetitive...Well I guess you're the same people who hated dirge for November...well, I'm sad for you.

To me it's the song structure and the general atmosphere that music creates that counts, not the amount of riffs one can put in a song (quality is always better than quantity). And you should all know that Opeth are the fucking Kings when it comes to creating emotions from music...

To put this short, Deliverance is a stunning effort. case close

P.S. Hi, I'm new! :D

Let me preface this by saying that I really, REALLY enjoy Damnation and consider it one of this year's best.

HOWEVER, my expectations for an Opeth album are much higher than those for most any other band out there. I'm honestly disappointed they didn't sneak in some of the dual guitar harmonies of Morningrise/Orchid or haunting ebow melodies of Still Life. I don't see how this album is the culmination of their past efforts at all. I don't think keeping those elements would have sacrificed any of the brutality they were obviously going for.

It seems some of the song structures have been simplified a bit much as well and I realize I'm making a bold statement...BUT...I personally feel that some of the riffs were repeated WAY too many times in an effort to stretch out the songs to fill up a full CD. Opeth could pull off a 5/6-song release with ease when they were filled to the brim with complex dual-guitar melodic riffing. Now, however, simpler chordal patterns occassionally beg me to hit "stop" and pop in Morningrise.

Despite my gripes, I still hold Damnation above MAYH and Orchid, with Still Life and Morningrise tied for first and BWP taking second. In short, an extremely powerful album that's leaps and bounds above the average "quality" deathmetal release that fits snugly w/ the more recent Opeth offerings without making that next "step" I was hoping for.

AH YES, the DRUMMING...almost forgot. Easily the best drum performance on any Opeth album - hands down. I guess this is to make up for the fact that there won't be much on Damnation huh? Anyway, I've said too much.

"congratulations on the dumest post of the day."

Well, as much as I hate to be the guy that responds by correcting grammar, but...

...you misspelled "dumb".

"dont forget to add IN YOUR OPINION"

...as if anyone took it as a pure, scientific fact. Every statement is an opinion, and the fact that it is my opinion doesn't make it wrong.

"dont make me laugh."

Steven Wilson is the one who (as Mikael has said in interviews) wanted them to use fewer of the guitar harmonies and less complicated riffs. Those are two of my favorite elements in music.

"Has it occurred to you opeth is getting a bigger audience because it is producing quality music?"

Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, and Still Life were all high-quality music. They were creative and brilliant.

"i really think you need to think before you type.... read some interviews and get educated before you sling mud around"

I've read plenty of interviews, and I'm in no way slinging mud, thank you very much. I just hope the next album is better.

Originally posted by PiercedFromWithin
It's my humble opinion that Deliverance is the best freaking Opeth album to date:headbang:

Every song is memorable to me and each (except 'for absent friends' perhaps) has at least one godly moment. And yeah, Wreath has become my favorite Opeth song of all time. It's too damn powerful (especially that riff at the end before they end with the intro riff...I don't know why but when Mike screams "Spiritual decay" I get chills everytime). But every song really stands out on it's own.

Some people say it's too repetitive...Well I guess you're the same people who hated dirge for November...well, I'm sad for you.

To me it's the song structure and the general atmosphere that music creates that counts, not the amount of riffs one can put in a song (quality is always better than quantity). And you should all know that Opeth are the fucking Kings when it comes to creating emotions from music...

To put this short, Deliverance is a stunning effort. case close

P.S. Hi, I'm new! :D

Hey there welcome to the board!! :) :cool:

Same here, Wreath totally grew into my favourite, that song kicks ass man!! Dammit I love it!!

I was interested by your Dirge comment though. I hated Dirge For November for its repetitiveness...in fact my least favourite Opeth song overall. But I don't think that Deliverance is in any way too repetitive...hell no. The only song that could be considered overly repetitive in my book is Wreath...but its a cool riff so I don't mind. I don't know what the hell people are talking about with 'simpler song structures' either, I honestly don't! If anything D suprised me with its more COMPLEX song structures. I feel that each song in D goes all over the place compared to BWP songs, which seemed the most streamlined and 'simple' of the bunch (though I do love the album).

Seriously, maybe the riffs are more simple...but the song structures? How the hell did people come to that conclusion?

Take the song Deliverance...angry starting section, suddenly thrown into a soft section, angry reprise of starting part, solo section, new clean singing section, short solo, new angry section, reprise of the last clean section and solo, reprise of last angry section...thrown into this weirdly timed clean singing part, short solo, echoey clean section, outro riff starts, crescendo of outro riff, back to outro riff, crescendo 2, outro riff again with effects....END.

PHEW...that was a really simplistic and black and white 'song structure analysis' on my behalf, but goddamn...that is the furthest from a 'simple' or traditional song structure you could hope to get...

ps. Piercedfromwithin - go to your profile, go to options and go to 'member title' or whatever it is, you can change it there...

Originally posted by Nico16
Steve Wilson didn't even know Opeth at the time Still Life was being recorded.

Yeah, but Mikael had been listening to Porcupine Tree stuff LONG before Still Life. His influence is definitely there, even if he's not an active part of the album.

Originally posted by BiatchGuy
and btw, Metallica did not sell out

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I guess you're saying no band ever sold out then. Stop denying this fact Metallica = sell out, you could have this in the dictionnary:

Sell out: 1- Person or group of person that starts to suck in order to please the masses with a more easily digestable product and to make $$$.
2 - Metallica

I am an "old school" Opeth fan, and I am really happy with most of 'Deliverance'. The only thing that bothers me is the opening riff of 'Master's Apprentices', which is too similar to a Morbid Angel-riff, and a riff late in the song which is very similar to a part in either 'April Ethereal' or 'When' (don't remember which right now). The rest of 'Master's' is fantastic, though.
Deliverance is a much more varied record than 'BWP' which I think is their weakest effort so far, and which I almost never listen to anymore.

Huh, I didn't think I could agree with anyone on this thread, but Metalmaster proved me wrong. Master's Apprentices, something in the repetitive riffs twice through the song. BWP, I guess it really is my least favorite also.