Deliverance made me want to shun Opeth

I thought Deliverance was a bit of a letdown as well. It may be just because I'm growing apart from the death metal scene, but it seemed too heavy for me. Mikael's singing vocals seemed without any sort of passion. They were good, but there wasn't much emotion. It sounded like they tried to get it done quickly and Mikael wasn't enjoying it (as he's said). Damnation is pretty good, though. But I still miss the good days of Morningrise.

Demonspell said:
Deliverance and Damnation have only increased my admiration for the music of Opeth, and may prove to be their most enduring artistic statement since Morningrise...

Demonspell, I couldn't agree with you more here. I just heard Damnation for the first time last night and was absolutely floored. It's one of the few Opeth releases that actually grabbed me instantly. I was probably in the perfect mood to listen to it as well so I'm sure that helped, but so far I think it's outstanding.

Also, over time Deliverance is proving to be one of my favorite Opeth releases as well. I didn't even really like the song "Wreath" that much and now I absolutely love it. Killer album from beginning to end. The more I hear, the more I like.

Totally agreed with EyeAm. Deliverance is far from a bad album, but it's lacking a certain emotional quality that previous Opeth albums had. When you think about songs like Advent, Demon of the Fall, Drapery Falls, etc., there's a beautiful atmosphere that goes far beyond the musicianship. Those songs get through to me much more than most other music, which is why Opeth is one of my favorite bands. No longer true for Deliverance and Damnation - both incredible albums on a technical musical basis - but kinda soulless.

It would also be interesting to see where Deliverance and Damnation would stand if Agalloch hadn't released The Mantle back in August. That masterpiece of an album seriously affected my musical tastes, and might account for why I didn't like the new Opeth as much.

If you ask a fanbase of most bands what their favourite album from that band is then 95% of them will say the same thing. The fact that there's so much argument over which are Opeth's best albums just means to me that they're all good. I hope someone can see what I mean.

Of course I've listened to Deliverance a dozen times since its release in November, but I still don't have the feeling that I've fully grasped the album. I don't know whether that's because it's so complex and different from the proceeding 5 albums or because I haven't listened enough to it.

I think this is probably my first post, i just read heh. But I thought i would put my 5 cents in:

Deliverance is probably my favorite album along with blackwater park, I LOVE orchid, and morningrise but I usually catch myself listening to later albums. And, no I havent heard damnation yet damnit (heh sorry)

WrathChld said:
Totally agreed with EyeAm. Deliverance is far from a bad album, but it's lacking a certain emotional quality that previous Opeth albums had. When you think about songs like Advent, Demon of the Fall, Drapery Falls, etc., there's a beautiful atmosphere that goes far beyond the musicianship. Those songs get through to me much more than most other music, which is why Opeth is one of my favorite bands. No longer true for Deliverance and Damnation - both incredible albums on a technical musical basis - but kinda soulless.

It would also be interesting to see where Deliverance and Damnation would stand if Agalloch hadn't released The Mantle back in August. That masterpiece of an album seriously affected my musical tastes, and might account for why I didn't like the new Opeth as much.
I agree..Agolloch's "The Mantle" is a great CD..I like Deliverance too, I really do even if it isn't as emotional as MAYH..-l-