Deliverance made me want to shun Opeth

darkjanus

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
I used to be a huge fan of Opeth before I heard Deliverance, and I still am, but ever since Deliverance was released I went from listening to Opeth everyday to never. I absolutely love everything from Orchid to BWP, but Deliverance really turned me off to them. And damnation being a soft album is not going to redeem them in my eyes. I'm not going to be surprised if its a great album, but I wanted a death metal album. I'm just trying to say that, while i good album, Deliverance was a huge dissapointment compared to their past catalouge.

if you dont like either of the albums just consider it as one i guess... they were both recorded at the same time. and why do you become a member right when Opeth releases a disappointment to you? Whenever i listen to opeth (and even older opeth) i dont excpect a death metal feel, so what are you talking about? If you want pure death metal youre obviously listening to the wrong band haha.

I felt a similar way with BWP, Deliverance has actually restored my faith in the band. Just hang in there, either when you've forgotten your disapointment with the new album then you'll get back into their old stuff, or when they eventually put out a new album that might re-awaken your enthusiasm.

To me, deliverance and damnation are an attempt/experiment to separate the soft and hard aspects of opeths music. But Opeths music is only half as good without both elements together. The peaks and troughs, the buildups and explosions. Thats how people live and thats how people relate to music.

o_O

Deliverance is a standard opeth album,and one of my favorite by the band.I think half of the bashing of deliverance just comes from the fact that fans have to dislike the new releases of their favorite bands these days.

Its such and incredible album that this is the only conslusion i can come to.I can see how people wont like it as much and other albums,and why some people like it more.But to say thats its a dissapointment and a bad album etc etc is just nuts to me.The album is incredible.

I like Deliverance, but not as much as MAYH and Still Life. It's a bit of a grower, I think. Wasn't too impressed on first listen, but liked it more after a few goes.

I think everything they have done since Morningrise has eclipsed the first two albums, don't get me wrong, I love Orchid and Morningrise, but I think what they have done since (starting with MAYH) is where I feel most content with what they are doing, I feel they have improved all aspects of their musicianship and the vocals are doing it for me a lot more than the first two albums (vocals are a huge part of what I look for in music)

I love Deliverance more with every listen and A fair Judgement is my fave Opeth song just below Drapery!

Schism said:
I think everything they have done since Morningrise has eclipsed the first two albums, don't get me wrong, I love Orchid and Morningrise, but I think what they have done since (starting with MAYH) is where I feel most content with what they are doing, I feel they have improved all aspects of their musicianship and the vocals are doing it for me a lot more than the first two albums (vocals are a huge part of what I look for in music)

I love Deliverance more with every listen and A fair Judgement is my fave Opeth song just below Drapery!

SPOT ON MAN!

Reactions: Schism
I thought Damnation was a great album. Its hard for bands to create such great music after a few albums and I think Opeth has done an awsome job with Deliverance and Damnation. You're probably expecting too much out of them.