Production of Deliverance

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Sorry to bring this up again, but as I was just browsing through a couple of Opeth songs randomly from all eras, I realized that the sound on these new headphones of mine is awesome... until I got to Deliverance at least... I have to say that compared to ALL other albums that Deliverance has very WEAK production... it doesn't even come close to BWP, from what I can hear. The guitars aren't very crunchy and the whole sound generally sounds like its littered with mid frequency... I mean it's good, it's just that the other album are better.

Just my 2 cents of ranting-ness...

Nah man I'm going to have to disagree point blank, the production on Deliverance is absolutely huge. The heavy bits sound exactly as they should, plenty of kick to all the instruments, and the clean bits have the most awesome vibe to them.

The one thing that i think is unusual about the mix is the prominence given to the drums. Not the norm for many bands, but when the drumwork is as pivotal as it is on Deliverance, it would be stupid to have it far back in the mix.

the only complaint that I have is that I feel the clean vocals are kinda soft... they aren't as prominent as the other albums... it almost sounds if Mike is scared to sing... but I don't think it's him... I think it's just mixed too soft. Not all of the songs... just parts of A Fair Judgement and Deliverance and the one part in Wreath

:)

What makes the production of this album great is the foundation(drums) unlike the previous three records the "foundation" of this effort is really good, and this is crucial when it comes to making a record of high quality production-wise.

It sometimes frustrates me when all the instruments other then the drums sound good, I just can't stand it when the bass drums sound unstable, it just gets on my nerves sometimes.

To be completely honest, what ruined it for me on Mayh and still life and Blackwater Park to a certain degree was the drum production; all the other instruments I didn't really have a problem with but with the production of the drums I did. I mean don't get me wrong I think Martin Lopez is a terrific drummer, he has really great technique, I guess you could say its signiture because he has this certain way of hitting the drums and cymbols that other drummers don't, but the only real problem I had was the unstableness in the bass drums between MAYH and Blackwater Park.

So to me what makes the production of this realease great is the drums, they just sound really good, and due to this it makes a big general difference.

Its like I said in the past though. I think the not- so- great drum production on the first three releases with Lopez was intentional, because if you have ever heard Amon Amarth's "Once sent from the golden hall" Lopez's drumming was practicaly perfect and the bass drums were stable as could be, so how is it so that on that album the bass drums are really accurate and between Mayh and Blackwater Park there not? I don't know, but thats kind of suspicious to me. Maybe it was a money issue or lack of having a good producer, who knows?

Anyway like I sais before: Deliverance is an outstanding record and I believe with "Damnation"the best is yet to come.;)

:cool:

I'm one of these people who really chilled on later-day Opeth. I love the first two, Morningrise by far my favorite. My complaint with the later stuff is that it all has that same sound, especially that rythem guitar sound. It just sounds so....I dunno what the word is. It's like it was ok the first time I heard it on MAYH and then suddenly became an irritating buzz. I never even bought Blackwater Park. I assumed I wouldn't like it before it even came out.

I DO like what I'm hearing here about this Drum Production on Deliverance. Where can I DL mp3's and which ones should I sample? Based on what I've said above, does anyone think I stand a chance of getting into this cd?

Regardless of all this, I have been eagerly awaiting "Damnation" and I'm sure It'll end up being the first Opeth I've bought since Still Life.

If you're put off by rhythm guitar, then don't buy Deliverance... it's their most standard lead/rhythm or all rhythm stuff... the shining point of the album is the drumming and just the quality of those repetitive riffs and those awesome mellow sections they have... but seriously if you're looking for something in the vein of Morningrise, you're definately not gonna find it in Deliverance.

I also have big hopes for Damnation too!

The guitar production has a hollow sound to it. It does feel kind of weak to me. It's not bad, it just gives the music a different feeling.

I love the sound of 'Deliverance', because it makes the music grittier, more snapping. It's more in your face, more wicked, unlike 'Blackwater Park' which was the audio equivalent of a bog, like the cover indicates.
The one negative thing I have to say about the almost clinical sound of 'Deliverance' is the sound of some of the pieces of the drumkit (specifically the tams)*

* Excuse me if this isn't the correct English word.

What is the deal with all the repetitveness complaints? The end phrase of Deliverance is repeated four times and suddenly "every riff is so repetitive."

I don't get it. Especially when someone says something dumb like "no riffs repeat on Morningrise, because it is PERFECT."

Yawn...

The only thing I don't like about the Deliverance production is that some of the clean vocal passages seem almost drowned by the music.

the production on deliverance is amazing, the singing is definitely not too soft in any part, i think the vocals were mixed very well, as for the rest of the instruments, i love the guitar sound, its great, and its new sounding which is always good, theyre moving in new directions

Originally posted by Towelie
the only complaint that I have is that I feel the clean vocals are kinda soft... they aren't as prominent as the other albums... it almost sounds if Mike is scared to sing... but I don't think it's him... I think it's just mixed too soft. Not all of the songs... just parts of A Fair Judgement and Deliverance and the one part in Wreath

I am with you here 100%! This was the first thing I
noticed when I played "Deliverance" after buying it....

Yeah, it's as if he's scared to sing. This might just be
his new style, I have no clue. But I notice it every time
I hear those clean parts... Something is not right :eek:P

The drum sound on this album is pretty good in my opinion and the triggered bass drums has definately helped. There was a lot of uneven double bass drum stuff on blackwater park...

The snare sound has a great snappyness to it too...

My only problem with the drums is the Tom Tom sound which in my opinion is a little poor, they sound kinda lifeless especially the roll at the start of the album with the reverb also added, sounds a little vacant almost.