Deliverance and production

RaZ

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2004
Athens, Greece
Everyone seems to hate that album in this forum... Yeah, I agree that some riffs should have been played a couple of times less (or a couple of minutes less, hehe - ending delivarence riff ) but that record has some trully kickass tracks and I espesially dig it because of the production. The album sounds H-E-A-V-Y. The drums sound louder and clearer than ever before and the guitars are somewhat crunchy. Take BWP and still life for example and then put on Deliverance. You'll see what I mean. Only drawback is that mendez is kinda burried in the mix

Yeah, I dont know why people hate it so much. I like it, I mean sure, compared to Still Life or MAYH, it is subpar, but it is still a very good album.

I love Deliverance. It's my second favourite Opeth album after Morningrise, and probably one of my favourites of all time.

The riff at the end of Deliverance is AWESOME, it wasn't played too many times, there's subtle changes you hear each time they play it, mainly in the drumming. Well, maybe not subtle, just achange in the cymbals.

I think that Deliverance is mainly a live album, the songs are so much more moshable to than their earlier stuff.

Oh, and production wise, its brilliant. As close to perfect as you can get in my opinion. The drums sound excellent, the guitars are great, as are the vocals, and the bass is nicely compressed into the mix too.

i myself like it very much too. the riff at the end of deliverance is perfectly put live (watch the DVD, yes). and BTPISIO is among my top five fave opeth songs!
i never could get into wreath tho. i dont see what ppl like about it!

i love that album... and i can't seem to get enough of some of the reapeated riffs. the end of deliverance, for ex, makes my happy every fucking time i hear it and i am always sorry when it ends. i too love the drumming on that album. not sure about the bass getting lost, but i will listen for that in future.

It's been said before... but lack of dynamics certainly plays a part is this album being boring. Sure, its got the production to mosh to, but christ, that doesnt make an album!It's just too undeveloped. This can be attributed to the fact that most of it was written on-the-spot.

I'm not going to say that Deliverance isn't a great album, becuase it is, but the production on BWP is just so much warmer and smoother. Deliverance sounds cold and harsh in spots. I usually find myself listening to it a tad less than the other albums, but it's highly enjoyable.

I guess I'm just spoiled by the Fredman sound. I don't think I've ever heard a bad-sounding album come out of there.

Katatonic said:
I love Deliverance. It's my second favourite Opeth album after Morningrise, and probably one of my favourites of all time.

The riff at the end of Deliverance is AWESOME, it wasn't played too many times, there's subtle changes you hear each time they play it, mainly in the drumming. Well, maybe not subtle, just achange in the cymbals.

I think that Deliverance is mainly a live album, the songs are so much more moshable to than their earlier stuff.

Oh, and production wise, its brilliant. As close to perfect as you can get in my opinion. The drums sound excellent, the guitars are great, as are the vocals, and the bass is nicely compressed into the mix too.

Marry me!

Deliverence is my second favoirte Opeth album, I completely adore it.

And the outro of deliverence is not to repetetive, maybe for a I-want-action-mtv-generation-kid, but come on, just slip into the hypnotic mode and listen to some nice china-hitting from mr Lopez.

Since Steve Wilson joined the board of Opeth producers/engineers, opeth sound evidently got a new life. Deliverance is my second album of preference, following Blackwater Park. However, it's quite noticeably that BWP has lesser production quality than deliverance. This was certainly due to the unexpected (interpret as forced) studio change during deliverance recording.

Steve Wilson rocks. Next thing for Opeth is Nordstrom should be replaced by Dan Swano. Then, I can only expect world (sound) domination.

Cheers

There's a word for repeated riffs, its called a groove. Deliverance settles into a nice metallic groove. I actually want it to go on more.

On another note, if you like Deliverance than you might like Volcano, by Satyricon, its what some might call repetitive. The black metal grooves actually help you "enter" the songs. Its dark and atmospheric as fuck. Particularly "Black Lava". Great song, great album.

Actually the word for repeated riffs/chords is a "comp" or "vamp" but anyhow...

I love Deliverance. It's not my favorite, and I do agree, there is a lack of dynamics and atmospheres. But songs like Masters Apprentices, A Fair Judgement and By The Pain... are absolutely amazing.

Dynamics and atmosphere are appreciated (I think this was really achieved on BWP, Orchid and Morningrise) but the songwriting and deliverance (no pun) I think make up a little for the lost of dynamics and atmosphere.