Live deliverance!

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
The bastard store released it to early! (bought it yesterday)

Listening to "Deliverance" right now and I will write the same time as I listen to it.

(spelling sucks, I know)

Im not so found of Wreath but It will maybe grow on me later...Its Opeth for god sake...
I also prefer the BWP sound infront of this. Its very well produced. Its professional and stuff but I like the more haunting tone in BWP. This is more MAYH (in a bad way).

Its now the end of "deliverance" and the same thing rolls over again and again. Soo great, and so evil/aggressive. It think this riff/beat is like three minutes or something...
Anyway there is some clean in the song and Mike has really improved since BWP. Its damn good produced.

I have also noticed something about this album...
Its not as beatuiful/romantic as the earlier stuff.
This is evil! More than MAYH!
The long ending riff on the song "deliverance" is a good example.

Fair judgement has started...
Its a little jazzy and I prefer the earlier ballad stuff more than this even if its good. An opeth song, not more or less.

I should mention that this is the second time I listen to the album and it has grown little on me. The first time was like "this will be better the next time I listen to it beacause its Opeth" Nothing special really.

"for absent friends" starts now.
Little jazzy slow again but also some BWP sounds that I love.
I really dont like the solo guitar. This could have been santana or something. Not a good track in my opinion.

"master apprentices" has begun.
Much double bass as on the whole album. I remember this track as really good from my first listen. Its quite repetive...as the whole album again. (both good/bad). The deliverence end was great!
It takes some time for this track to be really good...I remember that it was better than this even if its quite nice so far.
It just get better and better...

FATHER COMES IN WITH A VACUM CLEANER ON "ON".
HE SAYS THAT I KNOW MUST CLEAN MY ROOM AND HE IS A PAIN IN MY ASS RIGHT KNOW!

15 minutes later...

Now Im able to continue.
I remember it to be better...its good but not a blast.

"by the pain i see in others" has begun and this is great!!
Haunting and really, really nice!
Acoustic part...STRANGE vocals( low growl)! Double bass right now... Not as flowly anymore. The beginning was better.

Now the end of the song....THIS IS SO COOL!
I will not spoil anything but this is strange and again strange good.

Well... after two listens I think that BWP is alot better and much more beautiful this is much harder and some "Opeth feel" is gone.
There is much more ordinary meatl riffs with less feel in them.
The opening on "by the pain..." is great. And I think more of that feeling would have been better. Atleast for me...

I mean "Drapery falls" kicks every "deliverance" song in felling/haunting feel that makes Opeth so special.

Ofcourse this album will grown but I do not think that it will better than BWP, ST, MAYH.

The feeling is worse.
The production is great!
The cover is great!
The acoustic parts is worse.
The growl is better than ever!
The clean vocals are better than ever!
The sound is more evil and less beautiful.

Just my thoughts... dont get angry with me :loco:

ok i wont get mad at haha, but that entry was rather pointless...you should wait until you have heard the album a number of times before you spit your opinions out like that, no one wants to here a play by play.... after numerous listens, i will say the album has its own raw beautiful sound is better then blackwater park...but those are just my thoughts...dont get angry with me

i think it has an abundance of beauty ...

just keep listening ...

I like the production better now than on BWP

IMO its better than BWP and SL, but no Morningrise or MAYH (but then again, what is? ;) ) (i havent decided how it is in relation to orchid yet.. :p)

just my thoughts... please get angry with me

i agree that bwp is more beautiful, but that's because that album was not designed as a heavy album - deliverance was.

the abundance of crushing heaviness doesn't mean this album isn't full of haunting breakdowns.. you just have to listen closely for them

i think deliverance is a challenging album to listen to, but that makes it all the more interesting - for me at least :]

Ofcourse my opinion about the album will change... :)
I already changed my mind about "wreath" which I really like now and Im suprised that you managed to read everything I wrote (if you did) :loco:

One thing will not change in the future though...
The acoustics mellow parts isnt as doomy as they used to be. They are more "jazzy" now. And thats sad...

Originally posted by thirdeye
ok i wont get mad at haha, but that entry was rather pointless...you should wait until you have heard the album a number of times before you spit your opinions out like that, no one wants to here a play by play

Says who? :rolleyes:

I liked it, it was interesting to reflect on what were exactly my first impressions of the album.