Deliverance (the album) really that good?

mekane

Oct 4, 2003
I just can't seem to understand why deliverance is among anyone's favorite Opeth albums. I have listened to every song at least 4 times through, including the title track about 15 tiems. someone said it was by far the best, but the only part i like is at 8min 40sec. And i like all the other songs even less.

My favorites are Morningrise by a long shot and in a three way tie for 2nd, BWP, MAYH, and Still life.

Opeth is probably my 2nd favorite band followed by Metallica, so its not like i dont like them, but i just dont get why i dont like deliverance, its by far my least favorite opeth album. I would take damnation over it any day.

Is it worth it to keep listening to Deliverance? Maybe its an extreme aquired taste? Maybe deliverance the track isn't the best song?

I have gotten the impression that Deliverance isn't one the favorite. I, for one, don't think it's their best.

deliverence is great. americans seem to have a problem with it though(?) I think it's because it is closer to an american sound (than, for instance, the very northic morningrise) making it far less exotic.

way to copy and paste, kung.

Deliverance doesnt have the same dynamic as the other albums, since its mostly heavy. Same with damnaton, it lacks the heavy dynamic. I happen to like Delivernce the best though, just as a matter of opinion

BLackwater86 said:
1.I think Deliverance is my least favorite Opeth album, but it's still an amazing album overall. 2.Am I the only one that thinks Wreath is an awesome song?

1. Yes, exactly
2. No ;)

I like Deliverance a lot. There's plenty of of dynamic in there.

I think some folks are just turned off by the beggining of Wreath. I dig it. Master's Apprentices and Deliverance are my favorites. A Fair Judgement is a cool flowing tune. For Absent Friends is a nice progressive outro/intro in between track. Very tasty.

I don't see the lack of dynamics some speak of. Great album (IMO)

Deliverence blows goats even when you compare it to other Opeth stuff. It sucks only marginally less than Damnation. Go home.

I dunno how By The Pain I See In Others is a letdown, it's experimental, it's not exactly the same as all the other Opeth tracks, but it's pretty cool.

Deliverance is supposed to be a more death metal album, maybe that's why some people don't like it. I think it's my least fav, but I still like most of the songs (except AFJ, dunno why, but it puts me to sleep, and I love all their other soft songs)

Well, personally, I love Deliverance for what it is. I LURRRVVEE the title track, Master's Apprentice and Wreath, AFJ is a great song, and the only song I really don't listen to on it is BTPISIO, which I think is just too experimental for me, but I still like the cd very much.

i didn't like it as much as the previous opeth albums because of the repetitive nature of the album. how many times do they play that goddamn riff in "deliverance"? 100? it grates my ears after a while.

I like listening to Deliverance more than Blackwater Park. It's a better album. BWP gets a tad boring when listening to from begining to end. Thus, as an album it's not as good as Deliverance.