Votes: 4 3.8%
  • for absent friends

Votes: 34 32.7%
  • master's apprentices

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • by the pain i see in others

Votes: 22 21.2%

• Total voters
the only bad thing on this album is that one part in "a fair judgment" around 4:33 where he sings "leave it be, it was meant for me." Every time i hear that it sounds like "leave the pee, it was meant for me." I cant hold the giggles in when i hear that part. but the whole album is great.

Originally posted by Opet
Spike-
...can I vote for the 3-4 minutes of 'spooky silence' at the end of "By The Pain...." It REALLY shits me.

I was wondering why so long. I figure, sure what the hell. Add it to the end of the album for shits and giggles, but why all the excess blank airtime? When I hit random play on my CD changer and that song finishes, there's no music for like 4 minutes. (awe, poor poor me!!) :lol: But really, when you're all hanging out listening to music and there's nothing on for even 2 minutes, things tend to get excessively rowdy! :loco:

.....nothing on Deliverance beckons my hand to press FF...except that 4 minutes of nothingness at the very end. :rolleyes:

Yeah, if for some reason I have it on random (with about 5 other Opeth CD's on the turntable, it can be mildly annoying. But what really gets to me is that with most if not ALL of Mikaels music, everything he does he does for a REASON!! Now I'm sorry, but I can't for the life of me see how the 'silence' (including the associated vocal stuff at the end) adds to either the song (By The Pain I See In Others), or to the album as a whole. I mean, don't get me wrong, perhaps Mike has a very good and logical reason for adding 'it', but whatever that may be, it's currently completely beyond my grasp..... :bah:

It's just not like Mike!!

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
why does everyone hate For Absent Friends? ithink the song is so pretty! especially the chorus-type thing... where it goes through about 9 really coool jazz chords with the awesome melody over the top... maybe you guys just don't like jazz or complex chordal arrangements... sure the other parts of the song may SLIGHTLY drag on... but i think that song is just awesome.

My least favorite... tough to say, but i am going for wreath. It was my least favorite right away, but it grew on me and i would say i like it almost as much as the rest of the album... but i think it still gets my vote.

Amen. For Absent Friends was the first Deliverance song I listened to and fell in love with it straight away. I was initially disappointed in hearing MA after it, but that grew on me too, so anyway Wreath gets my vote.

I voted for Wreath. I think it's the worst Opeth song I've ever heard. It's pretty lame, and same-sounding, and I always find myself wishing it would end, so that my favorite song, Deliverance, can carry me away.

i think i'll have to say Master's Apprentice because of that beginnning but. aparty from that is is a brilliant song.
i think By The Pain I See In Others was sort of an experimental thing for Opeth. they put in that waltz bit, that stuff at the end and i felt a mood in it i've never felt from an Opeth song.