deliverance

I always thought By The Pain I See In Others was about a guy who gets really pissed about losing his job, so he goes home and rapes his wife, several months later he takes a walk in the park and steps on his kid by mistake, killing it.

Say the word
and I'll depart.

rape?

I hate flamers, so don't worry if someone gets pissed. so far everyone seems to be doing good though. Interesting theory though, I'll go read the lyric book to see.

It's all interpretation. I've now heard many of Opeth's albums being labeled as potential concept albums. I think it's ridiculous but however the listener would like to interpret them, all the power to em.

Jude said:
Somehow I don't think Mikael Akerfeldt, being a huge fan of Steven Wilson and vice versa, would go and produce a concept album about serial killers right after Steven Wilson did the exact same thing, especially when SW produced Deliverance. That would just be weak.

Thats "In Absentia", right? I never could figure out the story behind the songs. Do you know it?

blimey said:
I always thought By The Pain I See In Others was about a guy who gets really pissed about losing his job, so he goes home and rapes his wife, several months later he takes a walk in the park and steps on his kid by mistake, killing it.
how do you rape your own wife?:erk:

Frosties said:
Thats "In Absentia", right? I never could figure out the story behind the songs. Do you know it?
Yes. There's not a "story" but most of the songs address in some way themes of the minds or lives of serial killers, child molesters, rapists and other social deviants. Of course Steven Wilson writes in such a way that any given song might be interpreted to be about childhood memories, summer romance, or a serial rapist/murderer, for example, and he intends it that way- people add their own meanings to the song. Still, that is generally what the album's lyrics are about. It's most clear in Creator Had A Mastertape and Strip the Soul.

Jude said:
Yes. There's not a "story" but most of the songs address in some way themes of the minds or lives of serial killers, child molesters, rapists and other social deviants. Of course Steven Wilson writes in such a way that any given song might be interpreted to be about childhood memories, summer romance, or a serial rapist/murderer, for example, and he intends it that way- people add their own meanings to the song. Still, that is generally what the album's lyrics are about. It's most clear in Creator Had A Mastertape and Strip the Soul.

For those tracks, they seemed to fit to the concept - except the choruse for "The Creator..."

The creator had a mastertape
But he left it in a cab
I stared into the void tonight
The best dream I ever had

I mean, wtf?! He left the tape in a cab?!

But then, songs like Collapse Light Into Earth, Trains, Sound Of Muzak and .3 don't seem connected at all.

MrJack said:
Say the word
and I'll depart.

rape?

Actually,

"Say the word
And I'll depart
Upon your lips dwells nothing but the meaning of my cause"

They go together, and certainly lean towards forcefullness, or just being rough, but given the rest of the "non concept" of the album its pretty likely its meant forcefully, but perhaps the guy doesn't realise it, or not all the time.
Schitzoooo :zombie:

Frosties said:
For those tracks, they seemed to fit to the concept - except the choruse for "The Creator..."

The creator had a mastertape
But he left it in a cab
I stared into the void tonight
The best dream I ever had

I mean, wtf?! He left the tape in a cab?!

But then, songs like Collapse Light Into Earth, Trains, Sound Of Muzak and .3 don't seem connected at all.
I think most of the lyrics on the album can be seen to connect to the them somehow. But that's the beauty of Steven Wilson's double meanings (although you would be hard pressed to link Sound of Muzak to the concept, considering it's about something totally different)

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
Think about it. If she says "No" and you force her to have sex, its rape. Simple as that.
ya but... shes your wife.. sex is legal with her.... im confused.. btw awesome monty python-ness.. i = major fan:kickass: :headbang: