• damn

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • deliver

Votes: 59 64.1%

• Total voters

Hedon-

vic firth 2b
Apr 24, 2008
this album is amazing, and it gets a lot of shit (even from mike himself:rolleyes:).. why?
im not the biggest fan of absent friends (nice but not amazing) or pain i see in others (cool but not best of opeth). all rest of the songs here though just demolish, wreath kicks my ass every time, deliverance just has it all, judgement is my favorite deathless opeth track by far and masters is really one of their better and heavier songs, cant get enough of it.

i feel like most opeth fans consider damnation better than deliverance for some reason, well im sorry to say i like deliverance better by a lot.
damnation decapitates too though.
anyway added a poll just for the hell of it, and dont say shit like theyre different, i know there are, but please just vote for the one you enjoy more even by a little bit

it's my second favorite opeth album. IMO Deliverance is Opeth's greatest song. the album was created out of sheer frustration, exhaustion, anger, sadness. the music shows what mikael and the guy's were feeling.

Deliverance holds two of the most fundamental and defining songs of opeth I think, and that's deliverance and a fair judgement if you listen to them right after another. They are so different but yet so alike, and they connect the progressive essence of opeth I think.

I love this album and I rank it as my favorite album but im biased due to the fact that deliverance was the first opeth song i heard, this album is closely followed my watershed and MAYH imo

Deliverance has some truly fantastic songs. I really like Deliverance, Masters Apprentice (head bangers anthem) By the pain I see in others while other people might not think its that great, I really think it is. Very deep song. All that being said however I think damnation > deliverance. Damnation is really really good.

Closure is one of my favorite songs. Ever.

Sounds like the difficult recording process created some ill feelings for Mike towards this album.

For me it's the album that got me into Opeth & I enjoy it as much now as I did then.

As a fan, we just listen to the final product. For a musician or a band who create the music, obviously things are different. It's unfortunate that any difficulties during the inception/recording process can ruin the experience for a band member. For me I hear greatness from start to finish. As a musician you say, shit that part sucks, or this part/song didn't turn out the way I envisioned.

I think Still Life or MAYH are probably the most universally liked. Doesn't mean there's not a lot of us who like Deliverance just as much, if not more.

Deliverance has an succesful atmosphere, if only By the pain I see in others would have been left away...

I think the atmosphere is quite flat especially coming off their BWP, which has their greatest atmosphere by a long shot. I think a lot of it has to do with recording too, and also the fact that it's a pretty blunt record for the most part.

I think the atmosphere is quite flat especially coming off their BWP, which has their greatest atmosphere by a long shot. I think a lot of it has to do with recording too, and also the fact that it's a pretty blunt record for the most part.

Well, I consider Blackwater Park Opeth's folk album for it's atmosphere. Deliverance is a lot deeper an album. Has this calm feeling despite the brutality. Actually, always makes me to think a swamp lake near my cottage... probably due to the black and white artwork.

i feel like most opeth fans consider damnation better than deliverance for some reason, well im sorry to say i like deliverance better by a lot.

Don't apologize. Deliverance is a great album. At first I didn't like a lot of it, but now even Wreath (which I used to consider sub-par) has grown on me. Also, BTPISIO is one of my favorite Opeth songs, and I could care less if Mikael and most of the fans don't care for it. The "rise to submission" part with the crazy double bass is insane.

damnation decapitates too though.

Although I prefer Damnation to Deliverance, I wouldn't quite say that it "decapitates." :lol:

Well, I consider Blackwater Park Opeth's folk album for it's atmosphere. Deliverance is a lot deeper an album. Has this calm feeling despite the brutality. Actually, always makes me to think a swamp lake near my cottage... probably due to the black and white artwork.

Deliverance is definitely not a deeper album imo by any means. BWP has way more layers to it.

I don't feel Deliverance quite had that epic and intense feel like albums such as Still Life and Blackwater Park.Still pretty impressive though,and the two opening tracks never fail to blow me away!

^^ I agree :)

I think the atmosphere is quite flat especially coming off their BWP, which has their greatest atmosphere by a long shot.

However, I personally think that Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse might have more atmosphere, though it's all a matter of opinion. I'm not sure which of the three have more, I keep switching between them. One thing is clear though, is that all three are drenched in the 'classic' Opeth atmosphere, while each being different.

I wish Morningrise was re-mastered, or re-recorded or something. It sounds like garbage...but I love it anyway. Deliverance is like maybe my 6th favorite album from Opeth, but that doesnt mean I dont like it. There isnt much seperation between any of their albums...depends on my mood.