What didn't you like about Deliverance?

BurningSky said:
But you're also an idiot, and everyone on this board knows that you are a dumbass.
I am a dumbass cause I don't follow the herd and speak my mind...... interesting.

It's only better than Orchid and Morningrise. My main problem with it is the distortion.. it's a very empty sound to me.. Doesn't compare in the slightest to Blackwater Park. I'd say it's more a live album.. when Deliverance kicked in when i saw them live.. jesus fucking christ! I was so surprised about how mad the pit was. Also, it has one of Opeth's worst songs on it (BTPISIO).

I didn't like the fact that I didn't like the fact that I didn't like it.

winters epilogue said:
The death vocals always bothered me.
Oh well.

The death vocals are very powerful. Mike was not sick during the recording either. He had a cold recording the cleans for MAYH or something along those lines.

It's not that I don't like it, but it's my least liked Opeth album. Just too much monotonous heaviness without the acoustic parts to break it up, just makes me realize how crucial the soft parts are to Opeth's sound.

By the pain I see in others is actually one of my fav's on the album.

I do agree that alot of the riffs are repetative on the album.

I think GR does a great job of avoiding this & flows better than any of their other albums, which is why I like it the most !

The Greys said:
The death vocals are very powerful. Mike was not sick during the recording either. He had a cold recording the cleans for MAYH or something along those lines.

No, I know that. I said if I was told he had a cold during an album, I would have guessed it was this one, not My Arms, Your Hearse.
The lower side of the vocals are powerful in the sense that they are pretty damn low and brutal - but I still feel he had no higher range in terms of screams. Right in the beginning, Wreath when he goes "endless night" and all following moments with the higher screams, he almost loses it...
Listen to the scream in The Funeral Portrait right before he says "enough of this, you will leave me now" and hear how strong it sounds.

Although brutal, I felt the death vocals were weak.

Reclusive Strike said:
...Deliverance... Better than Damnation, better than Blackwater Park and better than even Ghost Reveries.
I'd say that Blackwater Park is their weakest

No.

I dislike it because they went to "chug chug" riffing, instead of the multi-layered majestic flowy sound they used to have. The riffs for the most part sound too "standard", too regular. They don't sound "moving". Plus the production bothers me. Too dry and up front. Plus it just seems like the songwriting is downright worse than the other albums. I love the title track, For Absent Friends, and A Fair Judgement has some moments, but overall... there are weak parts. Opeth never had weak parts before that so much. I mean, some parts flat out bore me, i wait for something new to happen. I can't explain it much better, i just know that the songwriting seems to be too normal... from that album on they started to sound like a band who writes music not as unique. Music that someone else could have also written. Notr entirely, but a lot more so than the first 5 albums.

I used to think Deliverance was a little boring and montonous but now I love it. Not my favorite album by them but still amazing. I think it takes the most time to grow on you out of all their albums. And I do agree with the threadstarter that Blackwater Park is possibly their weakest, if Orchid isn't... even though it has some wonderful songs, the title track is so disappointing it drags the album down a lot. Anyway, Deliverance is great, though i disagree about it being better than Damnation. you know what, i might as well just put them all in order
Still Life > Morningrise > My Arms Your Hearse > Damnation > Ghost Reveries tied with Deliverance > Orchid > Blackwater Park

hahah man a lot of idiots have cropped up recently

deliverance is very dry and sterile as far as production, wreath repeats a single riff for 3 minutes, deliverance outro is too long, fair judgement intro is too long and outro riff doesn't fit

it's way more formulaic than GR

however, despite all this, it is a good album compared to the rest of the crappy metal that got put out that year, it's just not as good as any of the other heavy Opeth albums

My only complaint with Deliverance was when it was first released, it was more or less "the album to the hype that is Opeth." "Prog-metal masterpiece," and all that. It didn't have the feel of an Opeth record, and up until this year I never really took it too seriously. It is a fantastic record, Opeth of course can do no wrong, but their catalog is just so natural. Within the first 10 seconds of Ghost Reveries I got the same feeling I heard Still Life, My Arms, etc etc etc. Deliverance seemed more or less a showcase than a natural record and story. That was my only complaint, if you could even call it one.

I think Deliverance is fucking incredible. It was my favorite for a good while, and I listened to it probably 2 or 3 hundred times in a row, until I switched it with MAYH (not because I grew tired of Deliverance but because I missed MAYH). I still think Deliverance is truly amazing, and "Wreath" has remained one of my favorite songs. I have no idea why everyone hates it so much. Some of the riffs are so tragic and beautiful. "Deliverance" the song is incredibly versatile and skillfully transitioned. "A Fair Judgment" has some of the best solos I've ever heard in my life. "For Absent Friends" is a beautiful track, but probably my least favorite. "Master's Apprentices" is also one of my favorite songs to date, and "By the Pain I See in Others" has some of my favorite parts ever, especially the one starting at about 5:04. I don't know why everyone hates this album so much. Then again, I don't see how anyone could dislike any Opeth, so I guess I'm biased.

The first thing that struck me when I heard Deliverance for the first time was how flat it sounded... The depth in sound and texture that I had come to expect from Opeth was gone. It didn't sound like the same band. It took me some time to get used to the "new" Opeth but sure, I really came to enjoy the album - and I still do. Deliverance and Master's Apprentices is probably up there in my top-ten list of Opeth songs.

The first thing that struck me when I heard Deliverance for the first time was how flat it sounded... The depth in sound and texture that I had come to expect from Opeth was gone.

That's true. The sound is not overwhelming although the songs rule!:headbang: