Deliverance production versus…

flu boy

Waffle Hut
Oct 20, 2003
Waffle Hut
Visit site
Anybody noticed the production on Deliverance is so clinical and clean that it eliminates a lot of the aggression? I love Deliverance but when I first heard it I immediately got out my copies of Blackwater Park and Still Life and noticed that the intensity and aggression on these albums is never really matched on any of the songs on Deliverance. I can hear all the instruments on Deliverance and I love the album (Best album released in 2002) but is seems to be lacking that feeling of getting kicked in the face every one in a while. Maybe it does not have enough bottom end? Anybody experienced the same thing?

I think Deliverance was their worst produced CD since Morningrise. I HATE it... it seems so dead. seems a bit too empty... can't really explain what i mean, but i really don't like the sound of that album. Doesn't help that i don't really like the album much anyway.

Ive always thought that the sterility on Deliverance was kinda the point. A theme of abandonment by all thats warm and fuzzy, and the growth of a cold, searching loneliness. Yeah, i know it has probably the softest Opeth moments yet (ie. AFJ), but even here the album seems perched on a depressed ledge, somehow managing to continue the downward spiral.

Ive never thought the album was about agression as such; agression is a powerful, energized feeling, when the cd seems restrained in frustration. Very dark, yeah, but as if the main character cannot deal with that darkness, and just kinda spends the cd alternating between lamenting it and embracing it.

So i guess im trying to say that i agree completely, but getting kicked in the face was never the point.

I agree with mumblefood, the production is a major reason that the album really disinterests me. It's not 'bad production' of course, but it removes so much of the atmosphere that has always been present. So sterile, so 'riffy'.

YaYo said:
I agree with mumblefood, the production is a major reason that the album really disinterests me. It's not 'bad production' of course, but it removes so much of the atmosphere that has always been present. So sterile, so 'riffy'.

I fail to see how Deliverance's production is weaker than Blackwater Park's.

Rensei said:
I fail to see how Deliverance's production is weaker than Blackwater Park's.
Every aspect on blackwater park is slightly warmer, and the band merges together a bit better rather than on deliverance where everything is too separated. Again, this doesnt mean its 'bad' production, but for me personally (and obviously for others) it significantly reduced my enjoyment of the music. No matter how technically great production is, if you can say something like that about it then its not good. 'clinical', 'sterile', etc, all good words to describe the difference i hear.

I have quite a contrary opinion to most of you. The reason I like it is because it sounds so, "dead, dry, lifeless, etc."

THAT fills me with energy. A synonym that could be used for the lifeless attribute could be 'bad-ass'. It's very clean-cut. Abrubt, if you will. I like listening to it when I have energy, both mentally and physically. I don't know what makes it sound like that, I'd guess the effects and what not.

Another reason I like it is because it is different from the rest. (Similiar to, as said BWP, but still more progressed towards that 'empty' sound.)

I take this time since I am already posting to inform all of you how much I am looking forward to the new album, as I have been disappointed with my other favorite band's newest release, Octavarium.

Such a shame.

Looking for a Job said:
let's see, one person so far has said the production of deliverance is bad. suicide time
Let's see, the first two psotings say that the production is bad an I know you not liking the production either = 3 of 5 until my post.

And yes, of course I thought about suicide but then I#d do you a favor and that's not going to happen. :p

deliverance said:
it's OVERproduced, imo. it sounds too sterile, and perfect. i do, however, like the songs on it.

That's what it is...overproduced...not a lot of warmth...does not have much of an analog feel. I could not put my finger on it at first. Snead has a tendency to overproduce. I wonder if this will be the case with the new Nevermore...

Saber Rider said:
Let's see, the first two psotings say that the production is bad an I know you not liking the production either = 3 of 5 until my post.

And yes, of course I thought about suicide but then I#d do you a favor and that's not going to happen. :p

I said: "Anybody noticed the production on Deliverance is so clinical and clean that it eliminates a lot of the aggression?" I do not think the production is bad :D .