Deliverance a disappointment....

skyshock1

Scorched earth triumphant
May 14, 2001
Southeastern US.
www.myspace.com
Just picked up Deliverance.

I'm not impressed with this album. It doesn't do much for me. I'm actually quite disappointed. Opeth are usually STEALLAR - Blackwater Park and Still Life were incredible. Deliverance on the other hand? Erm.... I think they missed with this one.

Sure, there's a few high points on this album, but they aren't placed quite as effectively as on previous albums. I've been listening to it for a few days now, and it has yet to "grow" on me. I'm VERY impressed with a lot of the lead guitar work and lead guitar tone, but as for the song structures/songwriting.... I think they fall short.

I think there's a lot of hype around it right now because it's "tHe nEw oPeTh aLbUm dOoD!!!" ..... I think when the hype dies down, there won't be enough substance on this album to make it a classic like the others.

I think Damnation is gonna be the high point for me. I REALLY like the way those two extra tracks on the BP extended version sounded, and I'd REALLY like to hear more of that sorta thing. If Damnation is anything like that, I'll be a happy camper! ;)

I think Opeth is suffering from overproduction and overthinking songs too much. I REALLY like all the Porcupine Tree stuff, and I liked the few small touches Steve Wilson added to Blackwater Park, but I think Deliverance relies TOO MUCH on Steve Wilson's production techniques, and not enough on OPETH's GREAT SONGWRITING!!!!

Overall, while there are some great moments on Deliverance, I think most of the album is quite disposable. I'm a loyal Opeth fan, and can't wait to see them on the upcoming tour. I hope Damnation is a little more, erm, memorable.

Am I just alone here in my thoughts, or does anyone else feel the same way?

its an incredible album.it would be boring if the the band were to follow the same formula for each album.

Reading your post skyshock1 makes me feel like a freak! hehe...
I fell in love with the album after one listening! This scares me
as then I might lose interest after a while... But, I really like
what I hear, and I will give this album lots of time in my cd-
player, that's for sure! :eek:)

Hmmm, well thats your opinon. Thinks to himself (Why does everyone that dont like the album.... have to make 20 diffrent post on why they dont like it?) And why is everyone here production experts ,and legendary song writers? (Being sarcastic)
Like Opeth are going to play your structure now? Since when are you an expert to talk albout over production and such? Come on man act like a fan not a reviewer.

Personally I feel Wreath is one of the best songs the band has ever recorded ,and the rest of the album is just as solid.

Keep listening maybe you'll change your mind, but if you dont chill out untill Damnation. Since you seem to like the lighter material more...

Forget all about song structure, individual riffs, etc - when I stand back and listen to the album Deliverance, I hear Opeth loud and clear. I don't sense a band that is, lets say, going mainstream or changing their sound.

I hear a band that is maturing, and with that maturity will come subtle and sometimes not so subtle changes. But, you can tell when a band is compromising themselves for something different. IMHO, Metallica is a good example. Something drastically changed from the Black album and beyond. Opeth, on the other hand, seems to be experimenting with production, as well as the use of instruments and vocals (I still say the drumming on the song Deliverance is some of the best drum work in the context of a song that I've heard). But they remain Opeth, and I feel they are staying true to themselves.

BTW - love the album, although it has yet to eclipse BWP as my favorite Opeth album. And the song Deliverance is right there with The Drapery Falls as my favorite Opeth tune.

Originally posted by skyshock1
Just picked up Deliverance.

I'm not impressed with this album. It doesn't do much for me. I'm actually quite disappointed. Opeth are usually STEALLAR - Blackwater Park and Still Life were incredible. Deliverance on the other hand? Erm.... I think they missed with this one.

Sure, there's a few high points on this album, but they aren't placed quite as effectively as on previous albums. I've been listening to it for a few days now, and it has yet to "grow" on me. I'm VERY impressed with a lot of the lead guitar work and lead guitar tone, but as for the song structures/songwriting.... I think they fall short.

I think there's a lot of hype around it right now because it's "tHe nEw oPeTh aLbUm dOoD!!!" ..... I think when the hype dies down, there won't be enough substance on this album to make it a classic like the others.

I think Damnation is gonna be the high point for me. I REALLY like the way those two extra tracks on the BP extended version sounded, and I'd REALLY like to hear more of that sorta thing. If Damnation is anything like that, I'll be a happy camper! ;)

I think Opeth is suffering from overproduction and overthinking songs too much. I REALLY like all the Porcupine Tree stuff, and I liked the few small touches Steve Wilson added to Blackwater Park, but I think Deliverance relies TOO MUCH on Steve Wilson's production techniques, and not enough on OPETH's GREAT SONGWRITING!!!!

Overall, while there are some great moments on Deliverance, I think most of the album is quite disposable. I'm a loyal Opeth fan, and can't wait to see them on the upcoming tour. I hope Damnation is a little more, erm, memorable.

Am I just alone here in my thoughts, or does anyone else feel the same way?

you are not alone! i'm with you...but forget...that discussion here is dead...it's a total waste of time...

When I first heard the album I was not to crazy about it, I was actually disapointed with it, this lasted for a couple of days. Then out of no where it just hit me and I fell in love with the damn thing.

I now think its an incredible album, I'm REALLY enjoying it. IT just continues to grow on me, and I basically like everthing obout this record. I like what opeth have done, and I 'm happy they made something that sounds different than there previous one, I mean you don't want two records that follow the same formulation you want something that sounds unique when compared to others, not some repeat.

This album is not meant to please everbody, there are people like yourdself that are not going to like it much or just be disapointed with it; and this is completely normal. So if there are some people out there that don'y ecactly like the album then thats just the way its suppose to be. You know the band was willing to lose some of there fan-base with this title, so you may be one of those fans, or you may not, but if you are then we wish you the best!;)

:cool:

skyshock1,

So you bought the album and right in 2 days came to the conclusion that it isn't stellar? Man, don't you know every Opeth release requires patience foremost. Give it time. It may grow on you, or it may not, but at least give it the chance it deserves.

I'm a huge Dream Theater fan. I got their new album when it was released 10 months ago and I'm still giving it a good number of spins. Some bands and albums just take time to grow on you.

NP: Evergrey - In Search of Truth

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
you are not alone! i'm with you...but forget...that discussion here is dead...it's a total waste of time...

:)

Yes..a waste a time if you have an immature approach as to how you review something and if you have a reputation for bashing people for how they feel about the band.

If your none of these then it should be interesting.;)

Originally posted by threak
its an incredible album.it would be boring if the the band were to follow the same formula for each album.

I don't expect them to follow the same formula for every album. I agree, that would be VERY boring. I like it when bands experiment in other genres, and continue to evolve and progress. Trouble is, I think Deliverance is a step back for Opeth. I guess since their past 3 albums have just blown me away so much, I have extremely high expectations of them. Setting myself up for disappointment ya know?

I'm still bummed. :(

Originally posted by Darkness Falls
Hmmm, well thats your opinon. Thinks to himself (Why does everyone that dont like the album.... have to make 20 diffrent post on why they dont like it?) And why is everyone here production experts ,and legendary song writers? (Being sarcastic)
Like Opeth are going to play your structure now? Since when are you an expert to talk albout over production and such? Come on man act like a fan not a reviewer.

Personally I feel Wreath is one of the best songs the band has ever recorded ,and the rest of the album is just as solid.

Keep listening maybe you'll change your mind, but if you dont chill out untill Damnation. Since you seem to like the lighter material more...

I AM a fan. That's why I'm disappointed. This is my first post here in QUITE sometime. I've heard MANY MANY MANY albums, and even have recorded a few of my own. I know about production work, believe me. That's another reason I admire Opeth so much, is because they usually have EXCELLENT songs with equally EXCELLENT production. Not this go around though.

I like their lighter stuff equally as much as their heavy stuff. I hope Damnation is done right. Deliverance sure doesn't seem like it was.

Fwiw, I'm up to like listen #35 now! LOL!

Originally posted by metalmancpa
Forget all about song structure, individual riffs, etc - when I stand back and listen to the album Deliverance, I hear Opeth loud and clear. I don't sense a band that is, lets say, going mainstream or changing their sound.

I hear a band that is maturing, and with that maturity will come subtle and sometimes not so subtle changes. But, you can tell when a band is compromising themselves for something different. IMHO, Metallica is a good example. Something drastically changed from the Black album and beyond. Opeth, on the other hand, seems to be experimenting with production, as well as the use of instruments and vocals (I still say the drumming on the song Deliverance is some of the best drum work in the context of a song that I've heard). But they remain Opeth, and I feel they are staying true to themselves.

I agree with you for the most part. I like hearing bands maturing and becoming more solid and concrete. I also agree with your interpretation of the differences between compromising your integrity for something different, and just normal band evolution.

I can hear how Opeth has come together as a band from Orchid and Morningrise through MAYH, Still Life, and Blackwater Park. I really enjoyed hearing this evolution, and constant betterment. However, Deliverance IMO seems to just miss the mark of excellence that Opeth is so greatly known for. It doesn't sound to me like the next grand Opeth album (what could possibly top Still Life and Blackwater Park?)..... it just seems like, it just kinda.... i dunno.... exists? Separately outside the boundaries of Opeth's natural progression.... Hard to explain. It's not great, it's not bad, it's just kind of.... there.

Ermm.... I wanna hear Damnation.

Originally posted by pac1288

{snip}
This album is not meant to please everbody, there are people like yourdself that are not going to like it much or just be disapointed with it; and this is completely normal. So if there are some people out there that don'y ecactly like the album then thats just the way its suppose to be. You know the band was willing to lose some of there fan-base with this title, so you may be one of those fans, or you may not, but if you are then we wish you the best!;)

Nah, I'll ALWAYS be a fan of Opeth. They're quite a solid band, and I KNOW they're capable of better. They've put out INCREDIBLE music. First time I ever heard them, I had to go sit down after about 5-6 minutes into it because i couldn't believe what I was hearing. Just incredible.

Originally posted by Mezarkabul
skyshock1,

So you bought the album and right in 2 days came to the conclusion that it isn't stellar? Man, don't you know every Opeth release requires patience foremost. Give it time. It may grow on you, or it may not, but at least give it the chance it deserves.

I'm a huge Dream Theater fan. I got their new album when it was released 10 months ago and I'm still giving it a good number of spins. Some bands and albums just take time to grow on you.

NP: Evergrey - In Search of Truth

I've had it for about 2 weeks now. IRC. I usually get my albums this way. I listen to them a few times, and if I dig 'em, I go out and buy them from the cd store, or cdnow.com. This is what I did with all of Opeth's other CDs (I own 'em all). But I don't think I'll be buying this one.....

I may pass it along to a friend though....

Originally posted by pac1288
:)

Yes..a waste a time if you have an immature approach as to how you review something and if you have a reputation for bashing people for how they feel about the band.

If your none of these then it should be interesting.;)

I didn't see the previous discussions, and I want to take a rational approach to this. I don't like bashing people, and I have read MANY MANY MANY positive reviews on the album. For some reason, this album just hasn't quite hit me the way it has hit others. That's why I was asking if anyone else thought the same? Sometimes someone has to pipe up, ya know?

I don't mean to bash Opeth.... that's not my intention at ALL. They're positively my #1 favorite band EVER. As such, I know they're capable of creating much better music than what I heard on Damnation. I hope no one takes this the wrong way. I'd really hate to get booted from discussing all things Opeth with you guys. You all seem to be a rational lot here, and it's not my intention at all to disrupt that.

Let's keep everything here civil so this thread doesn't get deleted unfairly.

Originally posted by skyshock1
I didn't see the previous discussions, and I want to take a rational approach to this. I don't like bashing people, and I have read MANY MANY MANY positive reviews on the album. For some reason, this album just hasn't quite hit me the way it has hit others. That's why I was asking if anyone else thought the same? Sometimes someone has to pipe up, ya know?

I don't mean to bash Opeth.... that's not my intention at ALL. They're positively my #1 favorite band EVER. As such, I know they're capable of creating much better music than what I heard on Damnation. I hope no one takes this the wrong way. I'd really hate to get booted from discussing all things Opeth with you guys. You all seem to be a rational lot here, and it's not my intention at all to disrupt that.

Let's keep everything here civil so this thread doesn't get deleted unfairly.

Actually I wasn't referring to you on that post that I made. I was directed at Ectoplasma.

So your okay:)