Deliverance a disappointment....

It took a few listens for me to sink in.. I've been listening to a (shhh) burned copy for a couple weeks - my copy arrived last night from The End (damn you ground shipping to Canada!) - and I'll give it a listen on my stereo tonight.

I don't think the acoustic passages on Deliverance have the impact of those on Still Life (mind you, BWP's were on about the same level as the new ones). The heavier work still maintains that emotion and drive. Maybe that's my only complaint - but I don't know as much about production as people who've recorded their own..

On a positive note, the heaviness REALLY appeals to me all around - and some of the guitar work hearkens back to the Orchid/Morningrise days. The songs still have a storylike structure, they build until the solo at the climax - each one having its own intricacies and moods.

GODDAMN.. the solo in Master's Apprentices is phenomenal. Can't get enough of this music - so full of ART, INTEGRITY, TALENT and SOUL.

without that.. it's just noise. Better off tuning out.

You said yourself that it was the hype that caused this horrible disappointment. It wasn't the hype, it was your own expectations. A good piece advice when you listen to music, no matter what kind of music it is or who wrote it, is to forget every single pre-conception you have. Don't think about what you expect, don't think about anything, just listen to the music and take it as it is. If you do that with Deliverance, you'll see that while on the surface it seems more straightforward and simpler, it's filled with dark energy and emotion nonetheless -- every bit as much as the other albums (with the exception of Master's Apprentices, which still annoys me)

Originally posted by pac1288
:)

Yes..a waste a time if you have an immature approach as to how you review something and if you have a reputation for bashing people for how they feel about the band.

If your none of these then it should be interesting.;)

:cool:

dude, slow down!

yeah, i'm none of these...peace!

I've listened to the album a lot, and I still feel that it falls short. The riffing sounds uninspired in parts, Wreath and Master's Apprentice for example. Some sections are repeated too long and become drawn out. It's not a bad album, but I expect a little more from Opeth. Their first speed bump in the road of greatness.

Originally posted by skyshock1
I think there's a lot of hype around it right now because it's "tHe nEw oPeTh aLbUm dOoD!!!" ..... I think when the hype dies down, there won't be enough substance on this album to make it a classic like the others.

Is that what you really think of all us fans? You couldn't be more wrong....

Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, this post has been done over and over and over again, and people are starting to get sick of it....

Originally posted by Nico16
It's my favourite Opeth song :)

MA is my favourite song on Deliverance, especially that awesome start, its so groovy and badass.

Everyone keeps comparing it to Morbid Angel but I haven't heard much of them. Do people see this as a good or bad thing? Cos I love it!

Well I started downloading the album on my 56k when it was first leaked on the hub... since the files are high quality and 56k isn't very fast, I listened over and over to the songs I already had... the first I got was the instrumental, For Absent Friends and that completely blew me away, it just completely relaxed me and made me think that Opeth are taking the perfect approach to mellow material.

The next song I got was Master's Apprentices and that really freaked me out at first because I thought it was a renamed Morbid Angel song... as I discovered it wasn't, I was really disappointed at how droning and mindlessly 'heavy' Opeth had become... I slowly got the rest of the album and I wasn't very impressed at all... but after I had received all the songs, I went to sleep and the next morning I burned them all onto a CD in the right album order and I listened to it 3 times that day on my headphones and I fell in love with it.

I still don't like the fact that some riffs drone for so long, but I think that really has to do with Opeth really being pushed for time and having bad recording situations (read the diary)... so I think under the circumstances they made a really good album.

EDIT: Don't worry, I've got the actual album on order.. I'm no mp3 pirate :p

Originally posted by inferenzum
You said yourself that it was the hype that caused this horrible disappointment. It wasn't the hype, it was your own expectations. A good piece advice when you listen to music, no matter what kind of music it is or who wrote it, is to forget every single pre-conception you have. Don't think about what you expect, don't think about anything, just listen to the music and take it as it is. If you do that with Deliverance, you'll see that while on the surface it seems more straightforward and simpler, it's filled with dark energy and emotion nonetheless -- every bit as much as the other albums (with the exception of Master's Apprentices, which still annoys me)

I think I wouldn't like it at all if it weren't for the fact that is is an Opeth album.

If it were labeled as some other group, I'd pass it up.

Originally posted by Dan
I've listened to the album a lot, and I still feel that it falls short. The riffing sounds uninspired in parts, Wreath and Master's Apprentice for example. Some sections are repeated too long and become drawn out. It's not a bad album, but I expect a little more from Opeth. Their first speed bump in the road of greatness.

My feelings EXACTLY!

Originally posted by SunlapseVertigo
Is that what you really think of all us fans? You couldn't be more wrong....

Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, this post has been done over and over and over again, and people are starting to get sick of it....

Not all fans of course. But I *HAVE* noticed it to some degree.

I haven't noticed that this post has been done over and over and over again because I'm relatively new to this board. But if it has been done over and over and over again as you say.... is there any particular reason for it?

Eek! I may be setting myself up for flaming here, but BWP is my least favorite Opeth album. Many great moments but overall I don't like it as much as Morningrise, Still Life or even Deliverance.

Hey, how do y'all get those little smileys and stuff in your posts?

Wren

Originally posted by skyshock1
I think I wouldn't like it at all if it weren't for the fact that is is an Opeth album.

If it were labeled as some other group, I'd pass it up.

Right.. well, if you're forcing yourself to like something that you don't really like, just because it has a brand-name you think you're obligated to be loyal to, then I have no sympathy for you. You might as well just put your nikes back on and get jiggy widdit back at the beach house, if that's the case.

Eek! I may be setting myself up for flaming here, but BWP is my least favorite Opeth album. Many great moments but overall I don't like it as much as Morningrise, Still Life or even Deliverance.

BWP was by no means a lowpoint, but it is certainly my least favourite Opeth album, so I admit I was a little concerned for a while about the new releases being a bigger sort of drop-off for me.

Here I go again :) (skip next paragraph if you have seen my other posts today!!!)

But, I just heard Deliverance earlier today and was amazed with the subtle maturity the guys are showing with the music. It is amazing how they continue to progress, without totally trying to change their sound. I found that I was impressed more with subtle, organic proggy aspects, which I have never noticed in their other albums (in mood, feeling...). And I agree that Lopez has really taken it up a notch, that really stood out! And the production on Mikael's clean vocals really reeks of Wilson, which is definitely not a bad thing!

skyshock1, the initial impression I get is that this album places more emphasis on different areas. The song structures aren't like past days and I think that was my main problem with some parts of BWP. But I think that they have really hit the mark with Deliverance and although the songs are arguably less complex, initricate...in the sense of some of the earlier works, I am getting strong vibes of *something else*, something that hadn't quite reached its maturity on BWP. If it sounds vague thats because it is, I haven't listened to it enough yet!

Regardless, once again Opeth have confirmed that proggy stuff is where it's at! I am really excited!!!!! :) :D :D :devil:

Man, it's so easy to pick out shit on their albums that each of us doesn't like since there are always so many parts and yeah, I had a hard time getting into all of the album but the title track and A Fair Judgement. Just takes time sometimes and getting over getting used to the sound of the older albums. And sometimes, not. Can't please everyone all the time. It's not a shot at anyone who doesn't like the album either. It's NOT as good as MAYH or Still Life.....few are. So it goes. The exploding solo on Apprentice and the beginning of Pain I See in Others both sound rushed and slapped on for the sake of putting them on the song. But like I said before^:p