Deliverance limited version?

Mammon

Indifferent
Jan 26, 2002
Egersund,Norway
Visit site
I checked cdon.com if I could pre-order Deliverance or something, and I noticed I could already buy them (kewl).. but they had two versions of Deliverance to the same price, but one of them were limited... what is the difference?

Sorry if there is a thread like this already, couldn't find one though.

Originally posted by godless
What is a DigiPack?
..A thin flap of cardboard with a cd in it.
piss.gif

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if it's this:

They start off selling the digipack version for a certain number of copies (don't know the number, 500, 1000, whatever)...then after that is sold out, they come out with the regular jewel case version that will be the standard release for years to come. It's more of a first-come first-serve to get something a little different than everyone else (you can brag later that you were one of the FIRST to have it, so you got the digi version).. you know, make the newer fans jealous, cause you're an older fan.

This is only my theory.
The reason I think it - is because I read about them doing it with the latest Porcupine Tree release. (Jewel-case version was coming out since the digi "sold out" quickly.)

Originally posted by redblueyes

(you can brag later that you were one of the FIRST to have it, so you got the digi version).. you know, make the newer fans jealous, cause you're an older fan.

You know I was the seconf one on this forum to have it :p hehehe

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna have an extra track. I know what you mean tho. Whether or not it has a different insert I have no idea.. I would dout it in this case, but...I haven't seen (or heard) any version(s) yet of Deliverance so I'm only speculating.

My only gripe with digipacks is they don't hold up well. Maybe I'm too rough, but I need the protection of a jewel case. I'm like a tiger when I gotta hear that music..NOW!

Even when I TRY to be especially gentle (like with In Absentia recently). It wasn't even 2 days and the spine of it had a little rip in the corner.. I'm like FUCK! FUCK!! FUCKA!!!!

I think digis LOOK cool, sometimes a little more interesting (like Katatonia's Last Fair Deal, and the latest Immortal the way they unfold) but like the Porcupine Tree digi is more like a promo, too thin, I don't like that one at all. Sometimes, like my old Arcturus "Aspera" digi has a hard cardboard side (with tray) and a little slit on the other cardboard side with a slit for the booklet (and it's the right size to fit in the cd slot)...that digi is pretty cool, even tho whenI open it, the booklet usually falls out that piss me off... and it's beat to hell with so many listens. So it's more a matter of being able to care for them I guess.

I'll enjoy having a digi of the new Opeth for my collection, but I'm gonna have take special precautions to protect it so it doesn't look like shit after a month of my greedy hands on it. ;-)

So a digipack isn't a jewel case but a kind of paper-thing.

but why digi? digi in my eyes has something to do with digital like enhanced cd's where you can find videos or other special material.

No, digi is for digipak. It's only the packaging. It IS a pretty dumb word for it actually!

When it's got a video or other extra footage, interview or whatever, you nailed it.. they call that "enhanced".

You might find something saying "digital remastered" but that' s like an old cd (ie, an early 80s metal band, or even like old Beatles records, etc) that sounds like shit compared to the quality of today because of the way it was recorded (now outdated equipment) so they do something digitally to try to make it sound more full.
I think everything nowadays is probably recorded digitally (or even a newer way)... but noone would bother saying it's a digital recording coming out.

So, it's just the package. But a digipack isn't' that little cardbloard sleeve that someone mentioned above. If it's a super-thin cardboard sleeve with nothing in it except the cd, thats a promo, not a digi.

Ah I see..I had the same idea as godless.

Godspeed You Black Emperor and everything else on the Constellation Records label is exclusively "digipack" then, and I find them to be cool even if they do stick out like a sore thumb next to my 250+ jewel cases ;)