Slightly worried about Deliverance because of the negative comments

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
My copy should arrive on Tuesday. This thread on the Metal-Rules board quite bashes their new one, and most of them are big Opeth fans. But the guy who started the topic said it's their best and his and my tastes are similar in most cases. I really hope Deliverance will be a better album than Blackwater Park, since BWP was my least favourite of the last 3 Opeth discs. I can't wait till I hear it.

Originally posted by Mezarkabul
My copy should arrive on Tuesday. This thread on the Metal-Rules board quite bashes their new one, and most of them are big Opeth fans. But the guy who started the topic said it's their best and his and my tastes are similar in most cases. I really hope Deliverance will be a better album than Blackwater Park, since BWP was my least favourite of the last 3 Opeth discs. I can't wait till I hear it.

Trust me its another masterpiece easily, without even a struggle.

Its just like when Mayh was realeased; a lot of people were disappointed with it then like four years later everbody realised how great it was, now most people consider it there best album.

I think Deliverance is absolutly outstanding. Thats just the way I percieve it when I listen to it. Its just so fulfilling, it has its own unque vibe that the others lack, but there all good in there own special way and Delverance is no exception.

precisely what pac1288 said... it IS different, a lot heavier, but the Opeth trademark is still there, and it IS amazing... BUT for a slightly different reason than the other albums, just like Morningrise is AMAZING for a different reason Still Life or MAYH is amazing... so don't be fooled, i can tell you the album is NOT bad in anyway, it just depends on what you are LOOKING for when you hear it... so look for nothing when you first hear it hehe i dunno, but i think the album is great

Actually, I think PAC makes a good point. When Blackwater was first released, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with it. Actually, same with Still life. Why? Because I was a huge fan of the Moringrise/Orchid approach and it was with Still life that they started moving away from that style. My point is, that both Still Life and Blackwater took some time to grow on me. Even though I was initially disappointed with each album, after about a year I found myself really digging them. So, I have no reason to believe that the samething is happening to other people with Deliverence. My advice would be to judge the album for your self. Don't go by what others think of it.

For the record, I haven't picked up Deliverence yet. Actually, I plan on getting it tomorrow. I have read all the bashing, but I am hardly interested in what others opinions on the album are. Because in the end, I will listen and judge it for myself. And if I do not like it initially, I will not worry because I will probably be singing the albums praise within a year.

I don't think anyone can dispute it's unique qualities in relation to the other volumes, though I personally don't like it. For me, it's too straight forward, cut and dry. I feel that Still Life is better melodically speaking, BWP is more "classic", Orchid is standard and straightforward but does a much better job, Morningrise is more drifty and beautiful, and MAYH is a better heavy album. To me, it sounds a bit too much like standard death metal, but again, that is just my opinion. I still like it, but just not as much as others, though I'm sure it will grow on me. Don't worry about what anyone else says about the CD, it doesn't matter. I remember before I bought the new In Flames I was so excited because everyone said it was great, then I got it and it sucked. So just figure out for youself if you like it:)

Hehe, I got the new In Flames and was sick. It was one of the worst discs I got recently.

I too like Still Life the best, and I hope the new Opeth will at least be a step ahead of BWP. I know this is said to be the heaviest album, but too many people don't consider it that heavy. Well I'll see tomorrow.

Just don't try to force your expectations on this album, then it'll be a great listen.
After a first listen I liked every song except A Fair Judgement, because everybody said it's something like Face of Melinda and To Bid You Farewell, the former being my fav song ever, the latter also being one of my fav songs.

So when I listened to A Fair Judgement I expected it to be the best song on the album and what not, and was terribly disappointed after the first listen.
But it quickly grew on me, because I learned to accept it how it is.

Bottom line is: Don't worry, look forward to hear some great new music, and I mean NEW music, not another Still Life or something.

Haven't heard it, it's out already?! Color me silly.

Anyway, I think all the people who have bashed it are the ones who expected something that they didn't get. Save your disappointment - there's a new Metallica out soon that I'm sure will be far more worthy of your disgust.

Deliverance has a very different mood . It's certainly darker than Orchid , but there's also a "cozy" feeling to the music . Mikael's clean vocals have also changed a lot .

I must admit that when I heard the first minute of Wreath for the first time , I was a little bit disappointed because I thought the riff was too "weak" for Opeth standards . But after a couple of listens , I can easily say that it's my favourite song from this album . So , listen to it with an open mind and I'm sure you'll like it .

Deliverance isn't really very good. It lacks the brilliance of the first four albums, and I like it even less then I liked BWP. It's just not that good, in my opinion.

They've gone from being the best band in progressive metal to being just another metal band that used to put out good music.

don't listen to the lies!!! ;)
honestly, I like Deliverance as much as the other Opeth CDs. that was not case during the first 4 or 5 listens, though. I think there are many great parts you have to discover...

Originally posted by Madrigal75

For the record, I haven't picked up Deliverence yet. Actually, I plan on getting it tomorrow. I have read all the bashing, but I am hardly interested in what others opinions on the album are. Because in the end, I will listen and judge it for myself. And if I do not like it initially, I will not worry because I will probably be singing the albums praise within a year.

I was gonna say something along these lines, but why repeat what's already been said?