Deliverance is the Culmination of all the Previous Opeth Efforts

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
I finally was able to purchase Deliverance last Friday, and although I am taking my sweet time digesting it by not playing it over and over and over, like I normally do with new cds purchased, upon my few listenings, no doubt, I can hear the other Opeth cds.

Especially BWP, MAYH, and SL. It is a solid mixture of these three, with a pinch and dash of Morningrise and Orchid.

It just may be their best effort yet.

Any one who does not enjoy this cd is not a true Opeth fan because Deliverance is Opeth.

A truly fantastic cd, indeed.

Definately Opeth.

It just hasn't eclipsed Blackwater Park in my mind (at least not yet), but it right now is my second favorite album. And the song Deliverence is 2nd behind The Drapery Falls.

Which would not be my intention, but it is a truth. This cd is the culmination of all of Opeth's work so far. If one can't get it, then they do not understand what Mike and Opeth are all about.

Therefore, they are not a true fan.

Now, if Opeth "sold out" like Metallica and other bands did, then my statement would be wrong.

No, that last post would do more to piss people off than yoiur first. As a word of advice, I suggest you tone down your evangelical "true fan" nature before you get really flamed.

You don't know my Internet personna very well. I couldn't care less if I get flamed. I speak my mind without worrying about stepping on somebody's toes.

yeah,i agree.i have no idea why people are being so quick to bash it.its an incredible masterpiece,i love it to death.

you want to know why?
metalheads are idiots.
if a metal band gains a lot of respect, they turn completely critical. opeth are more than just a "metal" band, and that pisses metalheads off. fuck them.

and i know thats a generalization, but other than a few i've come across, what i said i feel is correct.

i have no idea why people are being so quick to bash it.its an incredible masterpiece,i love it to death.

That's just it. I think some were too quick to judge. Then maybe, after a 3rd or 4th listen they thought, "Man...what was I thinking? This is fkn amazing!" ;)

I'm really anticipating what Mike's done with D2. I can imagine it, but the words of Chris Dick and Mikael (2 who have heard D2), give me a feeling it'll be 10x better than what I'm expecting.

:)

Did I say expect? :rolleyes: So sorry...silly silly me.

...have NO expectation for Damnation...

That worked for me with Deliverance. Actually, words from UM gave me a negative impression. Two weeks later, when I finally got the CD, I listened once and thought, "Nope, it's not that great." Then I listened to it again, and thought "Hold on a second." and half way through the third listen I was sure everyone that didn't like the album must have been dropped on their heads or something when they were small! :lol:

who gives a flying fukk about being a "troo \m/ fan"?

just enjoy the music.

yeah deliverance is Opeth... duh, it says so on the cover.
(I wouldn't wanna be considered a false fan by you. :lol: )

Yeah, it's music, and I don't like it as much as any of the previous albums. I bought it, listened to it over-and-over again....and it didn't grow on me, sorry. It's the least brilliant, least technically impressive, least imaginitive, least interesting album that they have put out. It's made for soft-rock listeners, not for people that enjoyed the twin guitar harmonies and progressions of the first four albums. Sure, it's Opeth, and they're my favorite band, but they no longer put out the kind of music that I enjoy, and they don't intend on putting out better music anytime soon, apparently.

Steven Wilson == Bob Rock

They're attempting to find a broader audience, and in the process have stopped putting out the kind of music that I enjoy.

Originally posted by morganm
Yeah, it's music, and I don't like it as much as any of the previous albums. I bought it, listened to it over-and-over again....and it didn't grow on me, sorry. It's the least brilliant, least technically impressive, least imaginitive, least interesting album that they have put out. It's made for soft-rock listeners, not for people that enjoyed the twin guitar harmonies and progressions of the first four albums. Sure, it's Opeth, and they're my favorite band, but they no longer put out the kind of music that I enjoy, and they don't intend on putting out better music anytime soon, apparently.

I couldn't agree more.

OUCH! I don't know if I quite agree with that comparison. I don't think it's Steve that made them do an album like deliverance. I actually hear less of his influence on Deliverance than I do on BP or Still Life.

Yeah, it's music, and I don't like it as much as any of the previous albums. I bought it, listened to it over-and-over again....and it didn't grow on me, sorry. It's the least brilliant, least technically impressive, least imaginitive, least interesting album that they have put out. "It's made for soft-rock listeners"

They're attempting to find a broader audience, and in the process have stopped putting out the kind of music that I enjoy.

congratulations on the dumest post of the day.

"its made for soft-rock listeners."

i really think you need a reality check...

"It's the least brilliant, least technically impressive, least imaginitive, least interesting album that they have put out."

dont forget to add IN YOUR OPINION

"Steven Wilson == Bob Rock"

dont make me laugh.

as for trying to expand their audience... thats just a joke. opeth

arent interested in that. and there is NOTHING on deilverance to

suggest that. I really think you need to go and read some of the

intereviews that mikael has done. Perhaps it will help you see

that he writes music for himself.

Has it occurred to you opeth is getting a bigger audience because

it is producing quality music? Finally a band getting the

recognition it deserves without needing to change itself to suit

anyone else.