The best produced album of Opeth?

lammoth

Jun 18, 2008
Mumbai, India
www.last.fm
imo its GR, just love every soundon that album, especially the drums, and i prefer Jens Borgen sound over Steven Wilson, Wilson's doesnt have the kick thats there in GR and Watershed.
So my order of best produced album is
GR>Watershed>Damnation>Deliverance>BWP>MAYH>SL>Orchid>Morningrise

PS - The sound of MAYH is fucking epic, perfect Opeth sound, but isnt as clear as the later records, esp for suff like vocals

The production on Ghost Reveries and Watershed is flawless. Mine would look like Watershed = Ghost Reveries > Blackwater Park > Delieverance = Damnation > SL > MAYH > Orchid > Morningrise

I like the production on Still Life and MAYH the best. Orchid and Morningrise sound underproduced, and some of the more recent albums sound kind of overproduced.

rly :S i think bwp got quite loud bass. its better distinguished, or whatever you call it, on gr though.

Yeah, in BWP it's not as much loudness as "distinctness". But that's because my first Opeth album was GR, so I'm spoiled on kickass prog-death metal with pristine production :D

In Deliverance, during most of the heavy parts I wish I could have a little more bass.

[of course, since I'm a bass player my idea of "right amount of bass" usually means "overbassed" for the rest of the world...]

My list would rather look:
Still life > Blackwater Park > MAYH > Orchid > Deliverance > Damnation > Morningrise > Watershed > Ghost Reveries
:)

Sorry to say that, but GR and Watershed don't sound like Opeth to me in contrast with their earlier songs. I understand that Opeth is in search of something, so I can forgive them that.

Whats the hate for morningrise about, I love that album :S

The production on that album is absolutely horrible.

adamburt said:
My list would rather look:
Still life > Blackwater Park > MAYH > Orchid > Deliverance > Damnation > Morningrise > Watershed > Ghost Reveries

Sorry to say that, but GR and Watershed don't sound like Opeth to me in contrast with their earlier songs. I understand that Opeth is in search of something, so I can forgive them that.

This is about production, not the one you like the most.

I actually enjoy the sound of Morningrise quite a bit.

As for Ghost Reveries, I think it sounds a little too perfect for Opeth.

My favorite would be either Deliverance or Watershed.

clearly it's deliverance -> watershed folks. I think gr probably has their best mix of any of the albums as everything sounds amazing (especially the drums), is in it's proper sonic place, and nothing is buried in the mix. bogren really delivered on that album.

IMO ... Orchid! Fresh, powerful... Mikael's first crack on vocals... its raw intensity still puts my hair on end to the present day.