What if Devin Townsend produced an Opeth album?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Opeth has always worked with the greatest -- or better to say, with the most suitable -- producers to help them discover new sonic soundscapes. I think the first Opeth albums mixed by Dan Swano still remain the band's darkest and most atmospheric releases in their catalog. Morningrise has layers of lucid atmosphere surrounding the compositions and I've yet to hear another Opeth disc that can come close.

With the noted producer, Fredrik Nordstrom, they perhaps created their most groundbreaking album ever: Still Life. It is also still my favourite Opeth along with Morningrise, but I can't say I'm a huge Nordstrom fan. I however have to give it to him that he knows his job. Whatever he touches turns to amazing from good. He also produced Pagan's Mind's Celestial Entrance and while I think the album is a good one, it simply became phenomenal due to Nordstrom's touch.

Finally we have Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree. I have spoken to lots of people in the prog genre when I was doing interviews and a good many of them said Porcupine Tree may be the most amazing band of the 90's (Arjen Lucassen was one of them). I love PT and I love Wilson's production work with Opeth. I vividly remember hearing BWP on its day of release and while the music seemed like a logical continuation of SL I thought it had this thick PT vibe and I might mention BWP as the best Opeth production ever. Deliverance and Damnation clearly follow the same musical path but since it was BWP that introduced us to Wilson's vision sonically I have a soft spot for that release.

I know the next Opeth will be done by Wilson again and I am perfectly fine with it because Mikael and Wilson have a very good chemistry going on together. I however wonder what it would be like if metal's madman Devin Townsend were to produce an Opeth disc in the future. Devin has already worked with a million bands and he also produced Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos (the album sucked but its production kills EVERY other Soilwork release easily). His work with Lamb of God was also killer.

If anyone's heard Terria, then you know the amazing wall of sound Devin creates around the music and the listener has to break that wall to get into the overall flow of the music. Somehow I always felt that this could be an excellent amalgam of the atmosphere on Morningrise and wall of sound on BWP with Devin's demented and wicked approach to songwriting and mixing.

I'd like to know what the average Opeth fan thinks of Devin and what you think an Opeth album would sound like if he were to handle the duty.

I would love to hear how an Opeth album would turn out with Devin as a producer. It would definately be different than all of the other releases. Good or not, it would definately have a different feel to it and I'd like to see Opeth try out different sounds.

i don't know, devin townsend is a pretty ugly man....it wouldn't really be good for their image you know

kidding.....i admire dt's work; it would be really awesome to see him and mike collaborate on something.....dt/ma side project anyone?

if devin townsend produced an opeth album I would think..."hmm thats pretty cool-Devin Townsend producing an Opeth album", and then I would proceed to buy it

I didn't really like the 'Wilson albums' that much, but that's just me. I don't think I'll enjoy it more if DT produced the next one.

While Gunhaver's approach is a little harsh, his answer is prolly right.
Dev is one of my favorite musician/producer dudes. He does heavy
atmospheric very well. I don't think that sound would be suited to
the ever-changing musical moods that make up an Opeth song.
However I would like to hear what he could do with the New Bloodbath CD.

From what i have heard of Dt's work its very electronic sounding, which would not suit Opeth imo.

Why are people so against Wilson producing the albums, Damnation and BWP are brilliantly produced.

Alternative 3 said:
From what i have heard of Dt's work its very electronic sounding, which would not suit Opeth imo.

Why are people so against Wilson producing the albums, Damnation and BWP are brilliantly produced.

yeah it's a really harsh, gritty sound that wouldn't suit Opeth at all...
I still like Townsend, but him and Opeth mix about as well as bong water and oil....

Devin's sound is far from being 'electronic'. It's true he's implemented electronic elements to his music before, but only on SOME of his albums. Check out Terria for example and you'll see it's mesmerizing. The electronic stuff never overpowers his own sound. Also Dev doing an Opeth disc doesn't mean he'd have to integrate electronic soundscapes with Opeth's style. Like I said, he produced Soilwork and it was awesome, production-wise. The songwriting sucked though and that's not Devin's fault.

Mezarkabul said:
I however wonder what it would be like if metal's madman Devin Townsend were to produce an Opeth disc in the future. Devin has already worked with a million bands and he also produced Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos (the album sucked but its production kills EVERY other Soilwork release easily). His work with Lamb of God was also killer.

Devin Townsend is certainly one the most talented musicians out there right now. I'm not too fond of Soilwork or that album, however, I will agree that the production by DT was stellar. It merely had a few shortcomings due to Soilwork's lack of original songwriting (hence why every song sounds the same). I wouldn't know about the Lamb of God albums, I don't listen to them, though I have no doubt that the production is top notch as well as all of his other works.

Mezarkabul said:
If anyone's heard Terria, then you know the amazing wall of sound Devin creates around the music and the listener has to break that wall to get into the overall flow of the music.

"Terria" is one of the best albums ever written. That album alone sets Devin high on the list, if not the top, of best musician the realm of music has to offer.

But, in the end ... I'm not sure how well DT's touch would fit with Opeth. I certainly am open to the idea as they need a change in my opinion. Townsend, I'm afraid surpasses Wilson in overall talent anyway you look at it, but Mike and Steve both have good chemistry. It's a good idea regardless.

Devin is brilliant I feel that it would be a fabulous idea for him to produce an opeth album, his musicianship is one of a kind. I also think that A predators Portrait is a good album. I also think that Steven Wilson is a piece of shit and he needs to stop putting that god awful telephone effect onto fuckin Opeth albums, Still Life and MAYH are produced so much better its not even funny.

wouldn't like it at all.
From Soilwork and his own albums, it is way overproduced, sounds really electronic and compressed.
I don't think a wall of sound is really what Opeth need anyway.