If Devin Townsend produced Opeth?

Judas Pissed

MEATL
Aug 26, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Would you like to see this happen? Lately Devin has been speaking a lot about how Opeth has influenced the writing for his next solo album (long songs that go from one extreme to the other) and I _think_ has mentioned once or twice that he'd like to work with them.

I know everyone seems pretty against Steven Wilson so I'd assume you'd be against someone like Dev to produce them but I just thought it was interesting...

Well I, for one, is not against Steven Wilson, and I like his contribution to the band. (Blackwater Park is still one of my favorite Opeth works, Bleak being an amazing work of art :devil:)

As for Devin working with Opeth, well... That could be interesting to see what it would sound like, for sure ! I don't know what it would end up like, but I'd be interested to check that out, yeah :D

I would love for that to happen.Almost like a dream come true.

I cant imagine how incredible that album would be if Dev got in on it.

I wouldn't like that at all. =( I hate Townsend production; the only stuff he gets right is his own. December, Soilwork, Lamb of God, all crappy, badly balanced productions. Totally overrated.

SculptedCold said:
I wouldn't like that at all. =( I hate Townsend production; the only stuff he gets right is his own. December, Soilwork, Lamb of God, all crappy, badly balanced productions. Totally overrated.
Dont know about the others, but Soilworks NBC is fuckin awesome. Not "badly balanced" at all. Im all for Devin working with Opeth. Using a different producer can help keep a good band from doing the same old shit album after album. Not that Steve is bad but a change could be good.

I have only heard songs from Accelerated Evolution and I really liked the production and I like the production on Natural Born Chaos from Soilwork, but I am not sure how it would sound if Devin Townsend would produce the next album or any album for that matter. As most of you have said, it would be interesting to hear, though.

blakmetalemp said:
Dont know about the others, but Soilworks NBC is fuckin awesome. Not "badly balanced" at all. Im all for Devin working with Opeth. Using a different producer can help keep a good band from doing the same old shit album after album. Not that Steve is bad but a change could be good.
There was a major problem though, they forgot to record the bass drums. And I missed them, oh how I missed them. =(

It would be unnecessary, and I wouldn't want to see it. He said he would rather work with them musically than produce them, anyway. I don't know how the hell that would work, but it's be really interesting.

Well, I went and downloaded strapping young lad and listened to all the songs.. most of them i had to skip forward several times hehe. I would have to come to the conclusion that his music sounds too simple for me, he doesnt show any emotion like Opeth. I dont like his music, but reading that he produced Soilwork's NBC, I agree that if he produced Opeth's new album, it might actually come out ok.

@suislidE: you can't judge Devin based only on SYL. Personally I think his solo projects, especially Terria, are far better, and most definitely emotional.

Back on topic...I'd say that I'd like to see how Townsend-produced Opeth would sound, I really can't see it being anything but great. Then again I can't see new Opeth being anything but great either.