Opeth + Devin Townsend ?

opethmaniac

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
I just read an interview of Devin Townsend in a French metal magazine... And he says that he really would like work with ....OPETH !! Not as a producer (as Steven Wilson has done..) ,but in a musical project ,as a real musician...
Could you guys imagine that?:loco:
I just hope that Mikael Akerfeldt will read this very soon !!

It would be interesting to say tthe least..HMMM A Devin Townsend Opeth project..D. Townsend's production is different from Steven Wilson's, much more of a wall of sound than Wilson's..
I don't think that Devin would fit with Opeth's more atmospheric, mellow tunes..
Just don't see how the two very different styles would fit..

I'd love to see them work together on something. But not on a regular Opeth album. Maybe a member or two, and some separate one-shot project.

I wouldn't want them to collaborate under the name of any of their current bands, but if, say, Mikael worked with Devin on a one off project under a new name, that would be cool.

Id love to hear it- Devin can get emotional and mellow. Also- it doesnt have to be a full cd- how about just a song or two- or a four song single like he did with Jason Newstead.

i think a side project would be cool to see...

i mean...u can have the negative attitude of..."It would sound dumb".....how do u know until you have actually heard it.
I think it is a great idea...and im interesting to see what type of musik they would create together

TrevJ said:
I wouldn't want them to collaborate under the name of any of their current bands, but if, say, Mikael worked with Devin on a one off project under a new name, that would be cool.

yes it would. I love that my three favorite artists (Steven Wilson, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Devin Townsend) are all showing interest in each other. A collaboration between the three encompassing all their diverse styles would be amazing.

speed said:
Id love to hear it- Devin can get emotional and mellow. Also- it doesnt have to be a full cd- how about just a song or two- or a four song single like he did with Jason Newstead.

?! What is this? I never heard anything about it...I don't really follow devin townsend news too closely though.

I can't quite 'hear' it in my head, but I can nearly see how it might work.

......There musical styles aren't quite so uncohesive as some people might think......

I can sum up my feelings on this scenario with this simple equation:

Devin Townsend + Mikael Akerfeldt in some kind of one/off sideproject = Hoser jizzes all over his monitor.

And throwing Steven Wilson in there certainly wouldn't hurt matters any, either. Fuck, why don't we just tack Dan Swano along so that all of my favourite makers of music currently alive are all in one place at one time?

THAT would be interesting to see.

I want Devin Townsend to produce the next Decapitated album.

That would simply rule.

Reactions: DE