The Devin Townsend Band

Ben_Bids_You_Farewell said:
I'm speechless. Especialy about the text in bold.
:OMG:

See? Everyone says it's amazing epic song! It's not! It's a stupid drum loop with some whispy synth that gradually gets slightly less whispy but not really and some decent vocals but with stupid lyrics! The last song is 3000x more emotional than that one imo, yet everyone's always like OMG THE DEATH OF MUSIC MAKES ME CRY ETCETCETC!

As for babysong, I dunno. Most people I play it for hate it too. I don't see how anyone could, it's so funny in the beginning and the lyrics are so bizarre and twisted but then it has some actually really good bits in the middle and then there's all that rocking stuff and there are the parts with the menacing arpeggios and the double bass and AH it is great. It reminds me of Earth Day off Terria with the mood swings, only a lot better and weirder. I love it!

Ben_Bids_You_Farewell said:
Wrong. AE is lightweight compared to Ocean Machine.
Get OM first.

I'd agree with this. OM can be hard to find though :\ (for years, the only time I ever saw it in a store was when I found a copy of the original version, the one that doesn't say devin townsend anywhere on it, for 1.00 sealed in a clearance bin of a college used cd store...then one day a year or two ago I went to the local cd store and they had about 10 of it in the new release rack ?!)

If you can't find a DT album, try www.hevydevy.com . It's his site and if you want to check out a good comedy album, check out Punky Bruster! It's Dev's punk album...well actually making fun of punk album.

I think OM is my favorite DT album, but Synchestra hasn't left my CD player since I got it (well..maybe to put in some Opeth of course!!).

Devin is probably one of the funniest guys in metal. At SOTU (obviously not the devin townsend band but strapping young lad) he just had me fuckin doubled over from laughing so hard. Plus, they put on a killer show to accompany it. And after the show they were all hangin outside of the tour bus and I got to chat a bit with Hoglan, it was pretty cool.

wankerness said:
See? Everyone says it's amazing epic song! It's not! It's a stupid drum loop with some whispy synth that gradually gets slightly less whispy but not really and some decent vocals but with stupid lyrics! The last song is 3000x more emotional than that one imo, yet everyone's always like OMG THE DEATH OF MUSIC MAKES ME CRY ETCETCETC!
I wouldn't even call it a "song", it's more like ambient I think. I really like it though, Devin's vocals are awesome and it's very emotional towards the end. And it creates a perfect mood for the transition to Thing Beyond Things, which is incredible, no arguing here

The Evil Toucan said:
Emotionally? Sure, AE isn't depressing. Music doesn't have to be depressing to be good or emotional.

Wtf, did I mention anything about emotions? lol.
By lightweight I ment as far as song structure, lyrics, the actual music, the mood and the epicness, Ocean Machine wins all the way.
I still love AC, don't get me wrong, but there's not many albums that can compete with OM.

I saw Devin with Opeth on Feb,18th. Although his set was too short, it was trmendous. Great sense of humour,anyone remember "What am I gonna play now? Oh, heres a Fuckin' C Chord." And then complete mayhem. I just got Synchestra in the mail the other day and after a couple listens, I am amazed, really a great musician. Anyone like Godspeed you Black Emperor? I also got "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven" and I recommend burning a fat one end to end and putting this on(with headphones) for a mind-numbing audio assault.Peace.

To me, Terria is a transcendent work, something that can only be made when the stars are all aligned and you have a magician on hand, preferably one that knows how to work a soundboard. I think SYL's Alien is damn sick too.

Have and love all his stuff except for Ocean Machine, which after reading this thread its quite obvious I have to run out and get.

EVH316 said:
No, no, no.

Do NOT start with Accelerated Evolution. It's the one Dev album that is disappointing. It lacks all of the qualities that make Dev Dev.

Ocean Machine is his masterpiece - truly awesome - and Infinity is superb too.

Terria is very good.

Physicist is an issue of debate among Dev fans because it's much heavier than any of his other solo albums, however it's a grower and is my second fav behind Ocean Machine.

But trust me, Ocean Machine is THE album. The second half of the album - from Funeral through to the end - is my favourite grouping of tracks on any album, ever. So yes, it's good. And I'm right so don't argue!

Im with this guy. as you can tell by my user name, i am a HUGE dev fan...have been for many, many years now.

ocean machine and infinity are his best, with infinity being the single greatest album ive ever heard.

Devy_Metal said:
Im with this guy. as you can tell by my user name, i am a HUGE dev fan...have been for many, many years now.

ocean machine and infinity are his best, with infinity being the single greatest album ive ever heard.
I agree with you but I'd switch Infintiy with Terria, I guess its just a matter of taste on that one, but Ocean Machine is untouchable

Keith! said:
Has anyone heard the song "Loser" on Human Equation by Ayreon?

Devin sings a small part at the end and man does he rip the shit out of his throat.
Yeah. That's a good song. The best songs on that album is the ones where either Mike or Dev sing.

And I am a big fan of Devins solo work, but not much of a fan of SYL. It seems weird to me...I dunno, maybe SYL will grow on me.

To me, Terria is a transcendent work, something that can only be made when the stars are all aligned and you have a magician on hand, preferably one that knows how to work a soundboard. I think SYL's Alien is damn sick too.

I agree there man, Terria is full on...Earth Song still blows me away. SYLs Alien is amazing, on my most listened to list right now.
But Ocean Machine is really fucking good, get it.

as good as syl is (and it is very good) devin's solo stuff is really where he shines and what he is all about. if you can appreciate syl for anything other than the brutality you should check out the solo stuff, no doubt.

Devin Townsend is becoming if not already one of the most prominent metal musicians today. I actually got into Devin before Opeth with Ocean Machine. Ocean Machine knocked me on my ass.Now Synchestra. I don't think there is better atmospheric metal(besides Opeth) being written today. Listen to the drumming on Synchestra, I think Ryan (whatever the fuck his name is, should learn it though) is a complete beast. Give the other musicians on this recording some credit. Certainly, one of the best in at least 3 yrs.