The Devin Townsend Band

The Evil Toucan said:
AE is more accessible, and there's plenty on it that makes Dev Dev. Plenty of good songwriting and awesome vox on AE. Ocean Machine might be a little 'out there' for a first listen.

It is a common mistake to mistake AE for its lack of Deviness :lol:. At first you feel as though it is any straightforward metal/rock album, but it is really damn unique once you understand it. The cd just oozes with emotion imo. I feel as though the song structures, although being more straightforward, still present exactly what makes his music so special. Songs like Sunday Afternoon, Slow Me Down, and Storm all showcase the emotions I am talking about. This album is very emotional. If you dont like it, it definitely is a grower. Even moreso than Physicist. You really do get conflicting messages over the album, but it is very accessible. I definitely think that any pop fan would love Sunday Afternoon, although it may be a little heavy.

Yep, most Dev fans discovered him via Sex & Religion. Great vocals.

The problem with AE is that it lacks an epic in the mould of Bastard, The Death of Music or Planet Rain. To me it's just too catchy. I've listened to it hundreds of times but have never felt the same incredible tinge of awe and emotion I sense while listening to Ocean Machine.

A tip for Dev newbies - listen to Bastard at night, either looking out the window while it's raining or driving through the city. The perfect soundtrack.

I got into Devin by checking out Detox. I'm a sucker for triplets so this song hooked me instantly. Then i got City and loved it, then got the SYL album and loved that even more and started to really get into loving his voice.

I checked out AE 1st from his solo stuff and it did hook me instantly. I think it is a good album for someone who hasn't heard alot of him to check out 1st, just because of the fact it is catchy but it still has that Devin atmosphere surrounding it.

I wouldn't really recomend Terria for a 1st album just cause it doesn't have to many hooks in it.

And also Synchestra i would recomend for a newbie, fucking cool shit.

I'm fairly new to Ocean Machine and Infinity. Infinity is pretty easy to get into but still going on that and Ocean Machine i haven't been able to get into yet. But no doubt it will prob become one of my favs, cause the longer it takes to get into something, the better you generally like it in the long run.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I heard that. That song has an awesome synth thing going on in it. (It sounded really... Irish. It's hard to explain.)

Yeah man i know what you mean.

I also love the mandolin melody.

I dont know whos the bigger genius, Devin or Arjen.

Havnt heard that much of his music, but the guy seems like a hell of a character..

I have liked Devin Townsend for a while, but I definitely am not as blown away as a lot of people seem to be. Ocean Machine always gets praised as some mammoth monster of an album that's one of the best ever recorded...I'd agree that about half of it is just completely killer, especially NIGHT which is my second favorite song by him and Bastard, but 'the death of music' just sucks and deflates it. :p

Infinity is mostly awesome but has some pretty dreary tracks in the middle, I was absolutely shocked when I heard "ants" off that and it sounded like goddam Spiral Architect, cause there's almost no technicality to speak of in any of the other pre-synchestra devin albums (and I hadn't heard SYL at the time so I didn't know he was capable of playing anything complex at all!). It was my favorite album of his until I heard Synchestra.

Physicist was sort of lame...I like some of it (like Planet Rain) but the rockers are sort of stale and do feel like a lame version of SYL (it's almost as bad as the SYL self-titled :D).

Terria is one of the most overrated albums ever, to my ears. I see it getting praise EVERYWHERE but I've just never enjoyed it, it feels really boring to me throughout. I don't like the 'earthy' guitar tone/playing even though I'm sure it was intentional. It's just a boring album imo.

Accelerated Evolution had some brilliant songs on it (especially Deadhead) and then a bunch of boring stuff at the end...never a big fan but I liked it more than Terria/Physicist.

Synchestra is just awesome, it's like a progged-up version of Infinity. I just love it, especially Triumph (love that Steve Vai solo!), Babysong (this is seriously one of my favorite songs ever already, the bizarre lullabye feel to it at parts and the hilarious bouncy kid music keyboards that come in over the rocking riffs and the way the arpeggios get diminished and make the song sound menacing are all just genius), and Sunset (this is probably the best thing he's ever done, I'm so angry that it's only like 3 minutes long :(). Much of the rest of it is great too, like Vampira and Gaia. Just great. I'm going to buy it if I can ever find the version with the DVD again :(

Keith! said:
Has anyone heard the song "Loser" on Human Equation by Ayreon?

Devin sings a small part at the end and man does he rip the shit out of his throat.
Fuck yeah man!
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER
Tingling stuff.

I think hes amazing, great musician. I reccomend the album Terria.
The song Earth Day is huge, he really has an amazing voice.

EVH316 said:

The problem with AE is that it lacks an epic in the mould of Bastard, The Death of Music or Planet Rain. To me it's just too catchy. I've listened to it hundreds of times but have never felt the same incredible tinge of awe and emotion I sense while listening to Ocean Machine.

I don't see its lack of an 'epic' song as a problem. All Dev's stuff is the most emotional metal I have ever heard, but AE really hits home because to me it deals more with love and being in love than any of his other cds.

A tip for Dev newbies - listen to Bastard at night, either looking out the window while it's raining or driving through the city. The perfect soundtrack.

By the same token, put on AE and go on a long drive when it's a nice, clear, blue day outside. PERFECT driving cd.

man Wankerness and I totally disagree.

On Synchestra I like every song *except* Babysong. it just grates on my nerves and so I skip it. I also highly favor AE and Terria over the rest for their atmospheric style.

Kenneth R. said:
man Wankerness and I totally disagree.

On Synchestra I like every song *except* Babysong. it just grates on my nerves and so I skip it. I also highly favor AE and Terria over the rest for their atmospheric style.

I agree.

I like Babysong towards the middle though; it gets a nice Terria-esque groove going.

EVH316 said:

I've gotten that same emotion with the song 'Storm'. I think that one has the epic feel, although with a lesser running time.

Has anyone heard his new one, Synchestra? I've yet to buy it. I started listening to Accellerated Evolution after I heard he was touring with Opeth (I knew he would be pretty damn good if he was on tour with them). His sound is fresh in my opinion. Very different from Strapping Young Lad. I'm loving the range on this guy.

Alex78 said:
well, for me, Deadhead, Suicide and Away are just as beautiful as Biomech. "you are the sun goddeeeess!!" (?)

YES! Deadhead is incredible...watching dev play it on the bonus dvd (Synchestra) made me love it even more.

wankerness said:
...I'd agree that about half of it is just completely killer, especially NIGHT which is my second favorite song by him and Bastard, but 'the death of music' just sucks and deflates it. :p

Terria is one of the most overrated albums ever, to my ears. I see it getting praise EVERYWHERE but I've just never enjoyed it, it feels really boring to me throughout. I don't like the 'earthy' guitar tone/playing even though I'm sure it was intentional. It's just a boring album imo.

I'm speechless. Especialy about the text in bold.
:OMG: