Devin Townsend inspired by Opeth!!

Schism

Evacuate, Assemble here..
Jan 15, 2003
Mittagong, NSW Australia
Visit site
This was just posted on the Devin Townsend board, thought you guys NEEDED to read this:

"In the future, I've got music that's way, way different than any of the things I've done. For the next record, I got really interested in Blackwater Park by Opeth. I like the idea of being able to include ballads and extreme metal in the same song and let it go progressive, so I'm thinking that will probably be where I go next time. It will be nothing like these ones (SYL and Accelerated Evolution)."

http://www.bravewords.com/features.html?id=1000222

I am in fucking ecstasy!!!!

ok, one big enchilada of a question:

what genre does Devin townsend fall into?
i've always heard of him [is it a band?] from death metal-ish people... so is it DM? doom metal or what?

chaveta said:
ok, one big enchilada of a question:

what genre does Devin townsend fall into?
i've always heard of him [is it a band?] from death metal-ish people... so is it DM? doom metal or what?

Devin is very difficult to pigeonhole, I would suggest checking out some samples from Ocean Machine, Terria or Accelerated Evolution

Basically, he has two projects: Strapping Young Lad, basically Extreme metal with Devin's unique touch (doesn't appeal to me as much)

and his Devin townsend stuff which consists of OCEAN MACHINE:BIOMECH, INFINTY, THE PHYSICIST, TERRIA and ACCELERATED EVOLUTION, this output is some of my favourite music ever, consisting of layers of progressive metal/rock with lush symphonic arrangemets heart-wrenching emotional vocals and big fat guitar riffing and drum sounds

the man is sometimes described as the mad-canadian as he fuses stuff together and creates something totally unique!

Ocean Macine is in my top five albums of all time

The latest SYL is a difficult beast. It does require a lot of effort to hear the complexity amid the brutality. But repeated listenings as always have resulted in a greater appreciation of this album. I can't wholly recommend it but than again it is a challenging and complex metal album.

narcisco said:
The latest SYL is a difficult beast. It does require a lot of effort to hear the complexity amid the brutality. But repeated listenings as always have resulted in a greater appreciation of this album. I can't wholly recommend it but than again it is a challenging and complex metal album.

yeah I like it but need to give it more listens, once was not enough to hook me.
Is it just me or is the production not as clear as Devin's other albums??
(maybe it was just intended to sound this way, i like alot of treble and it just doesn't give it to me)

Well I think the production is fine, though nothing that jumps out at you.
Its the lack of melody and catchiness that seems to bug me. Now I know the words melody and hooks or catchiness are anathema to many metal heads but hey this an Opeth forum. But listen to the later tracks on the album where you get seemingly Immortal style vocals then power metal riffing. Its crazy but it is growing on me.

City is one of the best albums ever made. I think Heavy.. and SYL are about equal, but not as good. Took me forever to like SYL too. It's kind of a hard listen, since it's all socially responsible now. It's not that fun fuck-the-world-I'm-angsty stuff anymore.

I have no idea what Devin's really going to do next. For a long time he's been saying he's going to go all electronic or something, but this contradicts that.

Edit: Ok, I just read the article. PUPPET SHOW? I so hope he does that.