Deliverance (the album) really that good?

That's sort of the way I see it.

BW Park has 2 tunes that are just all time favorites (Drapery and BWPark), but Deliverance is pretty consistent all the way through. As an album I like Deliverance better. The tune Deliverance makes it onto my top 5 list. Sort of old Voivod-ish with Opeth's signiture sound and great shifts in tempo. Master's Apprentices is a dark sludgy classic with a great textured mellow second half.

i only recently discovered how good that album is... definitely not my least favorite, i would say BWP is my least fav... but seriously, how can you go wrong with Master's Apprentice?

IAmEternal said:
I dunno how By The Pain I See In Others is a letdown, it's experimental, it's not exactly the same as all the other Opeth tracks, but it's pretty cool.

Experimental. :lol:

34.788%...Complete is experimental. By The Pain I See In Others is not. It's a pretty good song though.
*is on such a My Dying Bride binge after a long time (congrats to the hub)*
The problem with Deliverance is that it's pretty bland compared to the preceding albums.

Np: My Dying Bride - Catherine Blake

Deliverance is by far their weakest effort. How can you say BWP is less of an album? It has seven different full lengths as opposed to the five on D1. D1 is more repetitive than any other Opeth album: this works to their advantage in Deliverance, but not in Wreath, or in MA, which has a little bit too long of an intro riff. True, Wreath is not the worst song ever, but the intro just sucks. I got used to it after a dozen or so listens, but nothing on any other Opeth album ever took me more than three or four to get into, even the Orchid stuff, which has things that D1 doesn't. Like a bass guitar. D1 is a good album, but I would have an extremely difficult time understanding how anyone could find it the best. Listen to Morningrise first.

Deliverance is my least favorite Opeth album, defiantly. I mean I agree with the person who says that it has none of the exotic feelings all the other Opeth albums have. The first three songs are all brilliant, but the last two are probably Opeth's weakest heavy songs. MA is too repetive, and BtPISIO just isn't that interesting other then the "outside in the park" part. All in all a good album with a great first half...