Are there any bands out there that sound anything like Opeth?

For me the only metal band that comes close to matching Opeth's range and sound is "In the woods...". Try their albums "Omnio" and "Strange in Stereo", especially the former. Unfortunately, the band split up earlier this year.

Originally posted by Opet
Hey, that's cool. I'd like to hear them. Is there anywhere online that you know of where I can hear their music? At www.hmv.com I found an album by a band called Winds but I'd have to buy it to find out if they're the ones from Norway! There was no info about the band at the site. So, is their album called Of Eternity & Mind? If so, that's them.

Either way, I'd like to hear some...see what you're talking about.

That is the Norwegian band Winds. They are the only band with that name as far as I know. Hellhammer is the drummer from Arcturus, Mayhem, The Kovenant, etc. From what I hear Winds is also coming out with a new album in October. If you go to the site www.silentscreamzine.com you can read an interview with one of the guys. (in italian, but click on the english flag and it will be in english)

I just had to disagree with Discouraged1...I thought both Wish I could Dream It Again and Arte Novecento were both excellent albums by Novembre. I havent heard much from Classica, but I would definitely recommend them.

I'll agree with Gurney.

They were playing a bit of In the Woods on the black metal radio I listen to a couple of days ago, and the first band I came to think of was Opeth. It was as if they'd taken out the death metal influence and added black metal influences instead. Hard to describe better than that. ;D

All this from hearing a couple of tracks a couple of times, but I'll definitely be checking out In the Woods in the near future. I'm jealous of my friend who got hold of their demo album (HEart of the Ages I think it's called) after four years of searching. =/

The demo album is called "A return to the isle of Man" and it is very rare....I think it was limited to 500 copies Cd (and 500 more on vinyl??) I am not very sure about that.......
Got just a CD-rec of it (with the whole booklet copied : ))))))-better than nothing *sigh*)

"HEart of the ages" is their first album...

but I'll definitely be checking out In the Woods in the near future.
.......they will keep you great company.....

Someone mentioned Blazing Eternity, who are pretty good.

On the same label there's Drawn and Autumnblaze. They're both worth checking out, even if it's not a complete Opeth-alike type thing. They're certainly in the same ballpark, anyway. The Drawn CD even mentions Opeth on the cover sticker (Opeth, In The Woods and Voi Vod, to be precise).

There may be some sound samples at http://www.prophecyproductions.de

Lee B

There will be news about my new label soon. :)

Well I don't think any of the bands sound like Opeth, but some of them have some parts that can be alike..

In the Woods is a nice band and ' Omnio ' is really a good album.. But they have their own style, and atmosphere, I can't find any Opeth themes in their music, maybe in early lyrics..

Katatonia's Brave Murder Day is alike.. Everyone agrees..

Camel is a must for the ones that seek alternatives.. But only the progressive part of Opeth and clean vocals.. And also lyrics.. Camel is really a must..

Forest of Shadows suxxxxxx.. Damn I hate their theft of lyrics.. Someone stop them !! They steal from Anathema, Opeth and Katatonia and show like it's theirs..

well,
I am huge fan of In the Woods... and all their albums are great.
The closest link they share with Opeth is long songs and the difference between every album.
HEart of the Ages is black metal with strong doom influence(Ulver a bit) and the singing is awesome. Omnio is absolute masterpiece, EVERY Opeth fan should have a copy. Please don't let me explain why, just GET a copy and hear for yourself.
Strange in Stereo and 3 Times 7 on a Pilgrimage are also great but the first two are better examples for the 'beginners'. And Return to the Isle of Men is rerelease of ItW... demo and it's the only ItW... thing I don't like, but everything they recorded is 100% great(sounds familiar?).
Blazing Eternity's Times and Unknown Waters is released on Prophecy Productions, ans as all of you should already know by now, every Prophecy band is great. So is Autumnblaze and Drawn. So is Tenhi and Naervaer. And Green Carnation and Empyrium also etc, etc.

Cheerz